ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage 4.5 300PPI lag?

ArtRage 4.5 300PPI lag?

Hey,
    I like working on my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro (2.66GHz i7/8GB RAM/Nvidia GT330M) with ArtRage. However, much of my work at uni requires me to print things out at least A4 size. So 72ppi is not cutting it, however at 300ppi, my laptop lags when I use any brush.

Is my laptop just not good enough to handle that size or is there something I can try turning off to help? I don't want to have to work on my Windows machine, since I get frustrated every time I try.

The pixel resolution will be mainly responsible for this - Creating an 8.2 x 11 inch document with 300 dots per inch means you're using a reasonably large canvas. The brush size you're using on that also has an effect on speed, the larger the brush the more calculation has to be done to generate strokes.

It may be that the processor is having trouble keeping up, so try working with the DPI set to 150. Most printers do a pretty good job of upscaling and 300 is pretty high so you may find the quality is fine and the response time of tools is much faster as you're working with significantly less data.

Also - Double check that the 64 bit version is running (you can tell from the about box). If it's not then the amount of memory available is limited and that may cause speed problems.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoctrine View Post
    Hey,
    I like working on my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro (2.66GHz i7/8GB RAM/Nvidia GT330M) with ArtRage. However, much of my work at uni requires me to print things out at least A4 size. So 72ppi is not cutting it, however at 300ppi, my laptop lags when I use any brush.

Is my laptop just not good enough to handle that size or is there something I can try turning off to help? I don't want to have to work on my Windows machine, since I get frustrated every time I try.
    Adding to what Matt said, I have a similar system but it's not a laptop; it's a desktop PC using an Nvidia GTX 650. Doesn't lag much at all using 300 PPI at A4 size. Using the 64-bit version though with Windows 8.1. If it's still lagging even in 64-bit, might want to check out to see if there are updated drivers for the GT330M.

Drivers are all up to date. I'd rather work directly at 300ppi. I tried the demo on my partner's 2012 MacBook and it had no issues, at 300ppi A4 or A3, just as my desktop PC didn't but I hate working on Windows.

Not sure I can be much help here but I see we both have the same model Macbook Pro.
    As AR is CPU intensive, unless you are running additional screens, the GPU should not be a major factor. Mine copes quite happily with my attached 22" HD monitor.

My typical work size using ArtRage is A4@300dpi or A3@300dpi or 200dpi. And whilst there can be some slight lag with some tool types, particularly the Watercolour brush, Paint Roller and Airbrush at large sizes, I find they are still workable even on an A3 canvas.

Something simple to try might be to just shut down and restart the computer to clear out anything that might have been taking up computing resources and then just launch ArtRage and try it without having other apps open.

It's possible it's a tablet driver issue if you are using a tablet, so it might be worth uninstalling and then reinstalling any tablet drivers with the latest driver apropriate to whatever version of OSX you are running. (It might just be voodoo but after uninstalling I always restart the computer before reinstalling a driver!)

As Matt says make sure you are actually running AR4.5 in 64bit. When AR launches look at the bottom right corner of the splash screen when it's starting and it will say which version is launching, 64bit or 32bit.

If you are running OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard still, by default it will start up in 32bit mode, not 64bit. This may cause ArtRage 4.5 to launch as the 32bit version. To get OSX 10.6 to run in 64bit mode, hold down the 6 and 4 keys as the computer is starting up.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

I noticed that there is less lag when I'm zoomed in, but overall view is unusably laggy even with an ink brush. I may need to try rebooting. I just reinstalled my Wacom drivers since they stopped working recently. As for 64-bit, I forgot to mention that I am definitely in 64-bit mode, I'm using OSX Yosemite and I checked in program.

I guess I'll have to make do with the zoomed in view until I can afford a new MacBook (this one is getting a bit beaten up). For the record, my PC has a 2009ish Core 2 Quad, so I guess the extra cores make up for its age in terms of performance.

CPU or memory ?

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The pixel resolution will be mainly responsible for this - Creating an 8.2 x 11 inch document with 300 dots per inch means you're using a reasonably large canvas. The brush size you're using on that also has an effect on speed, the larger the brush the more calculation has to be done to generate strokes.

It may be that the processor is having trouble keeping up, so try working with the DPI set to 150. Most printers do a pretty good job of upscaling and 300 is pretty high so you may find the quality is fine and the response time of tools is much faster as you're working with significantly less data.

Also - Double check that the 64 bit version is running (you can tell from the about box). If it's not then the amount of memory available is limited and that may cause speed problems.
    Is the lag at higher resolution (>300 DPI) a CPU or a memory (namely: swapping virtual memory) problem ? Can it be solved by more memory ?
    I have some lagging (dotted lines) with a 4790K-CPU, which is one of the fastest available, but i am considering more memory, because AR uses much virtual memory. Will it help to prevent lagging ?

Donami.