ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange behavior (black pops up when blending)

Strange behavior (black pops up when blending)

Hi,

I am sure this is something I do not understand but if I try to paint (say pink) or blend under the eyes of the woman, I see black appearing.

I have tried when pen, pencil and air brush for instance and they all seem to bring up some black out of nowhere.

I have tried to include the project which is fairly small (even tried to cheat on the file extension) but the site will not allow it.

Feedback appreciated.

Regards,

Philippe

A screenshot would help - scroll down under your message when posting - and you will see this option - this is where you upload images.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manageattach.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	83986
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks, will do, do you know if there is a way to upload the .ptg ? (I get an invalid file error / figured it'd be the best way to check out the issue)

Regards,

Philippe

Rather strangely, no we can't upload ArtRage's natural .ptg file format on the forum!
    So screenshots are the best we can do here. If you can include in the screenshot (or as separate screenshots) open tool panels so we can see what tool settings are being used might help too.
    If you have something like a Dropbox account you could put your .ptg file on there and post the link to it here, which is something I've done before.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

ArtRage painting files ( PTG format ) can't be uploaded because they tend to be considerably larger than other image formats which is not handled well by the attachment system. If you have any problems taking a screenshot, let me know what operating system you're using and I can provide some steps
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi,

Thanks all.

I doubt a screenshot will help so I put the file here: http://www.snakecard.com/woman1.ptg

Let me know if that does not work.

Basically using a tool with a non-black color/ or a knife tool under the nose of the lady seems to make more black show up.

Regards,

Philippe

Could you give us the knife setting/preset you used. We would need that to see if we could replicate your problem. However, at a guess - it looks like you painted the woman over the dark background on the same layer. Could it be that when you use the knife it is picking up some of the underlying colour?

Also any loading in the knife settings will leave a dark mark. This is what I get if I use the flat knife at 1% loading, size 5%.

Name:  mark.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  15.8 KB

As a test - apply the skin colour paint on it's own layer and then try the knife.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Thanks for that. I can see what is happening now.

It looks like you have imported an image onto a layer of the painting at some point ( or built up a thick layer of paint ). Importing an image will create a layer of thick paint.

When you have thick paint, if you use a tool on top of it, you can end up smearing the paint, so you cut into the paint. ArtRage uses a 3D lighting model where a light is projected from the top left of the canvas on to the surface of the painting so that you can see paint texture and thickness. So, when you create a harsh edge to thick paint, like on the woman's nose in this case, there is a shadow which looks dark.

To illustrate this, turn off the lighting by pressing F5 and you'll see that this disappears. You can turn the lighting back on again with F5 after doing this.

Metallic paints tend to exaggerate these lighting effects as they are very reliant on lighting. If you don't want a metallic look, make sure that the metallic slider in the colour picker is set to 0%.

Here are some suggestions:

-When you import a photo or image on to an ArtRage layer, unless you want to work with thick paint, consider adding a layer above and painting on that rather than directly painting on the photo.
    -Alternately, after importing a photo, if you're using ArtRage 3 Studio Pro or ArtRage 4, you can go to Edit -> Adjust layer colours and check the 'flatten layer to bitmap' before you begin work to remove the thickness of the paint.
    -At the current point, you could smear the thick areas of the paint down then repaint those, for example around the nose area, or flatten the layer to thin paint as in the previous suggestion first.
    -You can turn off lighting entirely if you don't want the 3d paint effects, but you will no longer see paint thickness, paint texture, metallics or canvas texture if you do this

I hope this is of some help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks all.

I did not paint over the imported photo, just used it as reference.

@Enug: I have the problem with a pencil soft. (pressure 50%, Softness 100%, Tilt angle 0%)

@DaveRage: I do recall (sigh) playing with the metallic settings ... and I am practicing using a lot of paint to see what happens (it's fun ). I'll try your suggestions to recover.

Regards,

Philippe
    Last edited by philippecmartin; 11-04-2014 at 05:29 PM.

@Enug: I have the problem with a pencil soft. (pressure 50%, Softness 100%, Tilt angle 0%)
    I'm confused - you said you had problems with blending - now you say you are using a pencil. A pencil is going to leave a mark of course.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.