ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Image references not working --- Help

Image references not working --- Help

I opened Art Rage (4.5.2 - 64 bit) on my PC today and my image references would not scale or rotate. The lower controls in the ref panel still work (ie- scaling and moving the image within the pane) but the moving the cursor to the outer corners of the image no longer bring up the rotate or scale controls. Anybody seen this before? Any suggestions?

I haven't been able to get this to occur here but I should be able to help. My first guess would be that there's something going on related to tablet drivers or input settings which is interfering with the cursors.

Can you let me know:

- What version of Windows you're using
    -What your ArtRage input settings are. You can find these in Edit -> ArtRage Preferences -> Input Device. The default is all options checked except 'precise tablet'.
    -If you can think of anything which has changed on your computer since the last time you were able to rotate and scale reference images
    -If you're running any additional tablet related applications like tablet helpers, applications which work with tablet gestures and so on.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Dave,

-I'm using windows 7 pro

-For input I have all three of the tablet options ticked

-I was able to scale and rotate ref's last night. This morning I went into input's and clicked on "magnify precise cursor" as I was having a hard time finding my cursor moving over my image. It was after that that I tried to rotate and scale the ref and it didn't work. Since then I've reset the magnify cursor back to the original setting to no avail (as far as the ref's go). In the input cursor section I just ticked everything, restarted AR and nothing changed. I then unticked everything with a restart to no avail. I'm wondering if I should do an uninstall and reinstall of the program.

-I'm not running any additional tablet software and I'm not using any touch enabled hardware. I have a Cintiq 21ux and the associated drivers.

Thanks for the info. Uninstalling and reinstalling ArtRage would be highly unlikely to solve the problem as this won't change ArtRage's settings. To rule out a problem with the settings file, you can reset this to defaults by going to Edit -> Artrage Preferences and clicking the menu button then choosing 'Reset Preferences to default'. Restart ArtRage when prompted.

If this doesn't help, it looks like something external to the application is likely to be causing the problem and we'll need to do some further troubleshooting with you, so please email us directly at support@artrage.com and we can look into it with you. When you email us, please let us know what version of the Wacom tablet drivers you're using ( Windows control panel -> Wacom Tablet Properties - Click the 'about' button )
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Same issue encountered

I've encountered exactly the same problem from the looks of it.
    I was using ArtRage 3.5.8 Studio Pro (Steam) (Windows 8.1 64bit) a couple of nights ago and I know I was getting a mouse-over cursor change on the reference to resize or rotate my reference image.

Tonight, I decided to upgrade to ArtRage 4.5.2 (Steam) and bought it. I fired it up, loaded in my painting in progress from the other night & my reference was in a strange place. I tried to resize and found I couldn't.
    I've now tried in both ArtRage 3.5 and 4 and I've got exactly the same behaviour in both. I get no cursor change when I go to the white borders of my reference.
    When I put the cursor over the reference image and use my tablet (Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch Medium CTH-680), my main canvas rotates or moves, but not the reference image.

I've just tried the following combinations :
    - Restart ArtRage, leave blank "new" painting open, add reference - borders give me a mouse-over.
    - Open existing painting, reference doesn't give mouse over. add new reference, still no mouse-over.
    - Close ArtRage, repeat #1 (leave blank) and add reference - no mouse-over over this time.
    - Have tried all sorts of combinations now of restarting ArtRage & using new & existing paintings.. now I never get the reference mouse-overs anymore.

Typically I do all my work in 1 sitting, so I'm not sure if I've ever tried to open an existing painting and continue before.. It's always been a new one before.

Hopefully this helps pin down the issue a bit - Can email in to support if more info would be useful.. this is a rather annoying bug

regards,

Martin

After all that - I've just figured out the problem... (which I thought I'd post here for future searchers rather than just delete my post above).

When you have the colour sampler as a the active tool, the reference image resize and rotate don't appear.. When you switch tools, they magically appear
    For the record - I'm not sure this is a particularly useful feature and is rather counter intuitive, but maybe there's a good reason for it that I can't see at the moment.

Anyway... Back to painting !

Cheers,

Martin

Sorry, I neglected to post an update to this thread when we worked out what was happening for sra-art ( it was the same cause ).

I've made a note of this in our list to look at for the future.

Glad to hear you were able to solve it!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design