ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Any suggestions on creating "dirty" oil paint? la Goya

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

Any suggestions on creating "dirty" oil paint? la Goya

I am trying to figure out a way to replicate his strokes with this seemingly "dirty" or grainy brush. Any ideas?

Name:  Goya.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  52.5 KB

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Looks like that texture comes as much from the grainy canvas as from the brush.

I just mucked around a little and had some success with a stiff, dirty oil brush on a coarse weave canvas, working with layer upon layer, changing the bump blend modes of each layer to 'add'. Easy dirt glitter at the smallest size can help with the grainy look, too.
    Last edited by Slap Happy Larry; 10-30-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Happy Larry View Post
    Looks like that texture comes as much from the grainy canvas as from the brush.

I just mucked around a little and had some success with a stiff, dirty oil brush on a coarse weave canvas, working with layer upon layer, changing the bump blend modes of each layer to 'add'. Easy dirt glitter at the smallest size can help with the grainy look, too.
    Yes, I see what you mean. There must be a brush setting that can give the effect I am looking for. Based on your suggestion I just tried using the Easy Dirt Glitter Tube preset at 2% with low pressure and used the finished illustration as a tracing image so the glitter colours would be based on the traced image. I then imported the same image back in as a lower layer and changed the blending mode of the glitter layer to Multiply.

It is close. But, it is not natural enough. Maybe someone can script a brush to add specks to a stroke (specks of a lower saturation value than that of the given colour)? Can scripts do that?

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)