ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Some Newbie Questions!!!

Question Some Newbie Questions!!!

Hi
    I have searched the manual but can't seem to find the answers. So,.....

1 Is the current saved toolbox saved with the picture so that it opens with the picture when reloaded. Sometimes it seems to, sometimes it doesn't. I want the toolbox I was using to be available next time I work on the picture!

2 Is it possible to 'merge down' ALL layers a la PhotoShop? I can merge with the layer below, but not flatten the picture!

3 When I create a new picture using print size I use 290mm x 210mm at 300 dpi. The resulting painting area does not look like an A4 portrait page? Help!

I hope someone can help me with these problems. I love the app by the way!

Cheers All

Hi TonyT, I can't help you with the toolbox as I don't use it, but.....

If you change your canvas size, on your Resize Painting box, you need to uncheck the 'Preserve Original Aspect' tick.

To merge all layers, on the bottom right of your Layers pod, there's a group of lines, go there and a drop down box will offer that option.

Hope that helps!

1: Not sure what may be going wrong for you with the Toolbox?
    After a painting has been saved the next time it is opened any tools that were added to the toolbox during the previous painting session should still be there. They are for me.
    You can even export the toolbox as a file so that the same tool set can then be loaded for use in a different painting.

2: Yes you can merge all the layers together as per copespeak's post above or alternatively you can go to the menu-bar and; Tools > Layer Options > Merge All Layers. Also in the Layers panel individual "Layer Groups" can also be flattened to one layer.

3: Not sure what you mean here. Those are the dimensions of an A4 sheet. So the canvas will be A4.
    Last edited by markw; 10-12-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

A4 Canvas looks odd!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    1: Not sure what may be going wrong for you with the Toolbox?
    After a painting has been saved the next time it is opened any tools that were added to the toolbox during the previous painting session should still be there. They are for me.
    You can even export the toolbox as a file so that the same tool set can then be loaded for use in a different painting.

2: Yes you can merge all the layers together as per copespeak's post above or alternatively you can go to the menu-bar and; Tools > Layer Options > Merge All Layers. Also in the Layers panel individual "Layer Groups" can also be flattened to one layer.

3: Not sure what you mean here. Those are the dimensions of an A4 sheet. So the canvas will be A4.
    Thanks both. I'm now fine with collapse layers and toolbox problems. My remaining problem is harder to explain. As I said before I set up a new A4 canvas - PORTRAIT. However, when I go to use it it does not 'look' to be in the right proportions. Maybe the attached will show what I mean. It is a screen grab of the new 'A4' canvas. I hope you can help me here.
    Many thanks again for swift and helpful repliesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 10.45.30.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	83579
    Last edited by tonyt; 10-13-2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added information

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
    Thanks both. I'm now fine with collapse layers and toolbox problems. My remaining problem is harder to explain. As I said before I set up a new A4 canvas - PORTRAIT. However, when I go to use it it does not 'look' to be in the right proportions. Maybe the attached will show what I mean. It is a screen grab of the new 'A4' canvas. I hope you can help me here.
    Many thanks again for swift and helpful replies
    If you're creating the canvas as a new painting, by going to "File → New Painting" be sure that you're entering the higher number (290mm) in the height area, otherwise it's going to come out in a Landscape position. If you're using the "Edit → Resize Painting" or "Edit → Crop / Expand Canvas" options to change the paintings size, be sure that you have unchecked the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" option, before inputting your sizes (and also be sure to put the higher number in as the height, as I mentioned before, to avoid a Landscape position).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Many thanks - SORTED!!!

More newbie questions

Hi there new here and to Artrage. Sorry to tack this on the end of thread but l can't seem to find option for new thread. I am using the latest 1.6 version for ipad and cannot find the stencil pod??? I have a tools menu along the left side of screen as per attached pic- no quarter circle in the corner as l have seen on other screenshots? Does the ipad version
    not have it? Hope not as one of the main reasons l bought the app. Thanks Jan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	83727  

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkprincess View Post
    Hi there new here and to Artrage. Sorry to tack this on the end of thread but l can't seem to find option for new thread. I am using the latest 1.6 version for ipad and cannot find the stencil pod??? I have a tools menu along the left side of screen as per attached pic- no quarter circle in the corner as l have seen on other screenshots? Does the ipad version
    not have it? Hope not as one of the main reasons l bought the app. Thanks Jan
    The 1.6 iPad version doesn't support stencils (and I don't believe there's a newer version that does, either). Any screenshots you've seen, displaying ArtRage with a quarter circle tool panel, were shots from one of the desktop versions of the program.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.