ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Cursor flickers/vanishes when moving fast

Cursor flickers/vanishes when moving fast

Hi!

When I draw a line (ie, move the cursor fast) the cursor starts flickering or vanishes completely. It looks as if the software is unable to render the cursor at my screen's refresh rate resulting in only half of the cursor being drawn each frame, most of the time the cursor isn't drawn at all. My screen is propably rendering at 60FPS. When I stop moving, the cursor appears again.

This is clearly visible to the eye, but I was unable to capture it in a screenshot. I've attached a modified version of the screenshot to demonstrate my problem.

Not seeing the cursor makes drawing lines really, really hard, especially since most of your tools only render the last two millimeters after I lift my pen. I think this is the equivalent to drawing with your eyes closed.. :P. Photoshop doesn't have the flickering cursor problem and in that program I'm able to draw much better lines.

Thanks!

Ps. I love it how I can hide all the toolbars by only pressing the return key!

edit: Actually you get the same visual effect by making a (3d) program that doesn't use double buffering.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pekko; 10-06-2014 at 05:31 AM.

Hmmm. That might be a driver issue. Are you on a desktop or a tablet? What operating system are you running?

Have a look at Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Input Settings

• Try turning Wintab ON, and Realtime Stylus and Precise Tablet OFF,
    • Then restart ArtRage and see what happens.

If it's still weird (or that's the current setting), swap Wintab and Realtime Stylus.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thanks for the reply!

I'm using Windows 7 on a desktop computer with a dual monitor setup. My graphics tablet is the Wacom Intuos4 M and the driver version is 6.3.8-4.

Here are the setting combinations which I tried. Unfortunately none of them helped.

Realtime stylus x x x
    Wintab x x x
    PreciseTablet x

I've checked in with the programmers, and I'm afraid this is just an inevitable side effect of the cursor we use, and you're right - it's related to your screen refresh rate. If you went to a lower one, it would be a lot more noticeable. If your monitor is capable of a higher refresh rate, then that would fix it. You could also try one of the other cursors, which are larger, so less vulnerable to this sort of issue (hit the keys 1,2 and 3 to swap around).

It does actually show up for me at 60 Hertz, but I have to draw a very fast line (and now I've dazzled myself, I should have worn sunglasses! )

Too bad! Well, thanks anyway!

Unfortunately I notice it in normal use on my screen. I don't think IPS panels can go higher than 60FPS. TN Panels on the other hand have poor colour reproduction. Have you considered using a different cursor? This issue really detracts from the natural feeling you guys are trying to achieve. Ofcourse I understand that sometimes doing things in the computer world isn't that easy.

I'm not that much into how much features a program has, but rather how well the existing functionality works .

Can someone give a bit more info on this?
    I'm totally failing to see this effect no matter how fast or slow I move my cursor.
    Are there contributing factors like;
    Brush size?
    Type of brush?
    Canvas size and/or dpi?
    My HD monitor is 2 years old and only runs at 60Hz. As to my Mac's screen I've no idea but I would think its 60 as well.

It's just got me very curios now. I may have been a cat in former life!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

A lot of people may never see it at all, or it will only show up when the line is moving too fast to track with your eyes, so generally, it isn't a problem. Basically, the leading edge(s) of the precise cursor vanish if you move it very quickly, because it's moving too fast for the screen to display it properly. It doesn't matter what tool you're using, as long as it's the precise cursor.

markw; it's going to depend on your screen setup, but if you go to your desktop > right click > properties/screen resolution > advanced settings and go into your monitor settings and change the Screen Refresh Rate to a lower value, it should show up.