ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Enhancements to color picker

Enhancements to color picker

I'm just looking at some oil painting videos from youtube and have a feature suggestion to bring the digital counterpart closer to the original. I was thinking it may be beneficial to optionally tie the 'loading' parameter of the tools to the pressure of the stylus while picking colors being it from canvas with Opt/Alt or swatches/color pickers. This way you could vary the amount of paint you 'pickup' and have a level of control without using the slider all the time. Also a long standing request of mine of having the current color of the brush as well as level of loading somehow indicated (brush cursor fill color?) or besides the brush cursor may be an additional benefit.

And if you are really taking suggestions, maybe have a bitmap color buffer the size and the shape of the brush storing and mixing colors as we paint so we can have multicolor brushes as in reality and really advance the digital painting.

Quote Originally Posted by el_diablo View Post
    And if you are really taking suggestions, maybe have a bitmap color buffer the size and the shape of the brush storing and mixing colors as we paint so we can have multicolor brushes as in reality and really advance the digital painting.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this one. ArtRage already lets you mix paint and end up with new colours on your brush as you paint, but I've a feeling that you're talking about something slightly different?
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

That's an interesting idea. I read it like this - if you have a thick layer of [oil] paint already on the canvas, AR knows how much wet paint there is. In real life you could scoop that paint off the canvas to load a brush/palette knife, but you can also control how much is picked up depending on the pressure used while scooping. To translate that to AR, a light click with the sampler over thick paint on the canvas would load the brush with the colour + a little amount of paint, while clicking with heavier pressure picks up colour + more paint. I guess the idea being you speed up workflow by negating the need to locate and use the brush load slider. In that scenario you could even use the tube tool to squirt out colours (directly onto the canvas or a scrap ref panel acting as mixing palette) and then pick up paint as you go. The amount you picked up is automatically reflected in the new value of the load slider or perhaps you could have a live visual representation of how much paint you're picking up?

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    That's an interesting idea. I read it like this - if you have a thick layer of [oil] paint already on the canvas, AR knows how much wet paint there is. In real life you could scoop that paint off the canvas to load a brush/palette knife, but you can also control how much is picked up depending on the pressure used while scooping. To translate that to AR, a light click with the sampler over thick paint on the canvas would load the brush with the colour + a little amount of paint, while clicking with heavier pressure picks up colour + more paint. I guess the idea being you speed up workflow by negating the need to locate and use the brush load slider. In that scenario you could even use the tube tool to squirt out colours (directly onto the canvas or a scrap ref panel acting as mixing palette) and then pick up paint as you go. The amount you picked up is automatically reflected in the new value of the load slider or perhaps you could have a live visual representation of how much paint you're picking up?
    Thats exactly how I painted my last Artrage landscape in oils, with tubes squeezed out on the side. The control of the loading with the slider is slowing down the process a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this one. ArtRage already lets you mix paint and end up with new colours on your brush as you paint, but I've a feeling that you're talking about something slightly different?
    Yes, but it currently keeps track of only one active color. My suggestion is to keep track of the color per brush 'tip' represented by the pixel buffer of the size of the brush (it should be probably downsampled for performance). That way brush/knife could pick up many colors and keep mixing them while painting. I noticed this to be a an utility for example while painting grass with light brush strokes and by picking up from different areas of the palette the brush is loaded with many different colors which make the strokes more interesting.

I think Tarons Verve painter is close to simulating this, but not yet.