ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: picking up color from photo or painting in progress, etc.

picking up color from photo or painting in progress, etc.

I just purchased Artrage and am learning how to use it. I am not a good artist as so many of you obviously are, and I will be using the tracing method with many of my photographs. But, aside from when the tracing paper is on, how do you pick up a specific color from a photo or work in progress to use on it? Actually, is there a way to have a reference photo open at the same time as what I'm working on? Also, is there a place to test out your color, brush stroke, etc., before putting it on what you're working on? In Painter, for instance, I can keep a second file ready for both of these uses.

Thanks for your help... this is a wonderful program.

Hi jdytart,

There are a couple of options you could use here. Firstly, you could open your image as a reference image ( Tools -> Open a reference image, or ctrl+R ) Reference images can be repositioned, rotated and scaled by grabbing and dragging the middle, edges and corners respectively so you can drop them in to ArtRage at a size and orientation that is appropriate for you.

You can have this image sitting there over a part of your canvas as you work to refer to. Also, the colour sampler tool ( the one that looks like an eye dropper ) can be used to pick up colours from reference images as well as your own painting. Just select the tool and click on the colour you want to use, or hold down the mouse button and move the mouse around until you have the one you're after.

We don't have a separate mixing palette, so if you wanted to test out colours and smear paint around to check the appearance, I'd say setting aside a corner of the canvas to do that with may be a good call. You can always resize the canvas later on to remove a "test" area potentially. Artrage has many many levels of undo as well, so you can go a long way back if you find you place down some strokes you change your mind about.

Hope that helps! If I've misunderstood what you're asking here, just let me know.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Just to add to what DaveRage said...
    While you're using other tools, you can also hold down the <Alt> key and click in your painting or reference image to pick up the current colour from that point. It saves you having to switch between the sample tool and your working tool.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thanks for your help. I did figure out that the eyedropper was the color sampler... I will be trying out the reference image method - that will be very helpful.

I must say I love Artrage after only a few hours of using it. I hope you don't change it in any significant way - it is just about perfect as it is.