ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Roller paint brush settings question

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

Roller paint brush settings question

Does anyone else feel that the pressure setting on this brush is backwards? 100% reveals the most texture whereas 0% fills the texture to reveal less texture as though I were pressing harder on the brush. Also the thinner seems to be backwards. version 4.5.2
    Last edited by Victor Osaka; 09-28-2014 at 06:04 PM.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Yes, I know what you mean. We get used to the idea; more pressure = more paint on canvas. But see this explanation from DaveRage: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...786#post384786
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Thanks for the reply. I still don't buy that explanation however. Unless there is some sort of paint roller brush I don't know of.

I've used ink rollers on cold press and the harder you press the more the ink fills in the textured paper creating a solid paint surface. I've used padded paint rollers and the harder you press more the ink fills in the textured paper creating a solid paint surface. The less pressure used with either of these methods the more the texture is revealed as ink or pigment is not forced down into the hills and valleys.

I take it that ArtRage roller has always been this way. I'll have to get used to it too.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

We modelled this behaviour on a hard roller with oil paint. The more pressure = thinner pigment model is basically exactly what happened when we worked with the real tools on paper. For a thinner medium such as ink or with a softer roller surface this would be different but, surprised though we were, we found that the model we're using here is the one we found with the actual tool.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.