ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dry brush / Dry sponge help!

Question Dry brush / Dry sponge help!

Hi
    I am new here and have searched the forums with no luck, so please be patient. I am trying ( using AR4 ) to build up some overlapping tree foliage colours using wet brush. I then want to remove some or all of the paint to show through to other foliage colours or the sky background using the above brush types. I can't seem to find them or another way of doing it - help much appreciated!
    Cheers
    tonyt
    Did post in technical - but no replies so hope for help here if that's OK?

Have a look here and see if these will do what you want. http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...Spray-Presets)

If you scroll down the Forum page you will see 'Art Supplies' and find lots of goodies - including the sponge brushes above.

Many thanks for a swift reply and help!

Sponge brush to soak up paint from paper?

ALSO - that's great for adding paint, but what about 'soaking it up / away' with a sponge or towel type brush? How do I do that? Any help appreciated

Whilst AR aims to replicate real world paints there still remain things it can't do, like "soaking up" things. So you need to think of other ways to maybe replicate the look of that effect.
    In these situations experimentation is key.
    My opening gambit would be maybe to use the eraser tool but use it through a stencil, for example the "Turbulent" stencil possibly, found in the 'Textures' group of the Stencils. Also playing with a paint Layer's opacity may help too.
    Hope this is of help.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

As Mark said, you should experiment and see if there is a workaround with the available tools in AR. I presume you are using the watercolour brush when you want to 'soak up' the paint.

Here are a few ideas I have come up with - other more experienced painters might suggest something else.

Tree #1 I used the Gloop Pen and Delicate Dry watercolour.

Name:  trees03.png
Views: 116
Size:  163.2 KB

Tree #2 Delicate Dry with Paper Reveal brush. The Paper Reveal brush removes paint which might be what you want.

Name:  tree01.png
Views: 119
Size:  133.3 KB

Tree #3 The Sponge Sticker Brush - I used different shades of green but you could also use the same blue as the sky over the top to give more sky if needed. A blue Sponge Sticker Brush over solid green would also give the appearance of sky showing thru.

Name:  trees02.png
Views: 121
Size:  137.0 KB

In all these examples I have the background sky on a separate layer.

Just some ideas to try.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
    Hi
    I am new here and have searched the forums with no luck, so please be patient. I am trying ( using AR4 ) to build up some overlapping tree foliage colours using wet brush. I then want to remove some or all of the paint to show through to other foliage colours or the sky background using the above brush types. I can't seem to find them or another way of doing it - help much appreciated!
    Cheers
    tonyt
    Did post in technical - but no replies so hope for help here if that's OK?
    Could you change your technique to utilize layers? Then you could erase elements and reveal the paint on the lower layers.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)