ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: straight line finishes too soon

Question straight line finishes too soon

I am running Artrage 4.5.2 64-bit on Windows 8.1 update. When I hold down Ctrl and drag the mouse to draw a straight line, the line automatically completes after a few seconds before I have released anything, which makes this facility unusable for many purposes. Having had a similar problem with early completion of the lasso tool in Photoshop and discovering that it could be avoided by running the program in Windows 8 compatibility mode, that is what I now do as a workaround in Artrage as well. Is this a known problem in Artrage and is it likely to be resolved without having to use compatibility mode?

It sounds like an input method issue - Something is probably terminating the stroke prematurely, possibly due to another system interpreting the click & hold as a gesture. Could you let us know what kind of input device you're using and we can suggest some preferences tweaks to see if we can avoid you having to run in compatibility mode.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Reply to MattRage's reply

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    It sounds like an input method issue - Something is probably terminating the stroke prematurely, possibly due to another system interpreting the click & hold as a gesture. Could you let us know what kind of input device you're using and we can suggest some preferences tweaks to see if we can avoid you having to run in compatibility mode.
    Thanks, MattRage, for your reply. The problem occurs both when I use a mouse (wired) or a Wacom pen with an Intuos-3 tablet. The straight line always autocompletes after about 4 or 5 seconds of keeping ctrl & left mouse button down or ctrl down & pen on tablet. If I run Artrage in Windows-8 compatibility mode there is no problem, but I worry that running in compatibility mode might lead to other problems in the future.

If you're using a Wacom stylus as your non-mouse input option could you check the following:

1 - In the ArtRage Preferences panel turn 'Use Wintab' OFF and 'Use Realtime Stylus' on.
    2 - Go to your Wacom control panel and turn off 'Use Windows Ink' which should be in the Mapping tab.
    3 - Restart ArtRage and try again.

If that fails, try this:

1 - Turn 'Use Wintab' ON and 'Use Realtime Stylus' OFF.
    2 - Turn Use Windows Ink back on in the Wacom control panel.
    3 - Restart ArtRage and try again.

If that still fails, open the 'Pen and Touch' control panel and select the 'Press and hold' pen action then click Settings. Turn off 'Enable press and hold for right clicking' and see if that helps.

And if that fails, check that you have updated your tablet drivers:

1 - Download the latest drivers.
    2 - Uninstall your current drivers.
    3 - Reboot your system (this is really important).
    4 - Install the new drivers.

It's hard for us to know immediately what's causing the problem because combinations of hardware, Windows versions, drivers, and pen settings create a big mess of possible interactions that could be breaking any system we use. We support the old Wintab standard and the modern Realtime Stylus standard but sometimes those two don't play well together and your pen drivers may be confusing data between the two.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks again, MattRage. I tried your settings suggestions (as well as various in-between combinations), but the behaviour was either no different or slightly worse (with the line stopping even more abruptly and less consistently). I believe that my tablet drivers are up to date.

I appreciate that you have to cater for all sorts of combinations and I do have a solution that works for me at the moment (Windows-8 compatibility mode). My main reason for starting this thread was to see if there was a known problem that affected others and if it was being addressed. It would seem not! However, my o.s. is currently the latest Microsoft recommendation and my computer is a pretty new Dell XPS 8700, so I wouldn't be surprised if other users become affected in the future. Hopefully, further software updates (Microsoft or Artrage) will improve matters.

Did you check driver the version specifically? We've seen problems with some strokes terminating early in the past if the drivers are out of date, and we know that this isn't a generic problem on Windows 8 with the product so it's likely to relate to input settings and drivers in some way.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Apologies for the long post, but I've been experimenting further and made some progress which may be relevant to the ArtRage developers.

First I tried some advice from WebRage (whose post now seems to have disappeared). This suggested changing the "size of all items" under the Control Panel Display options to "small" (100%). This seemed to work (although it would have not been a satisfactory mode for me to operate my display under in general). However, I realised that in order to make this change I had had to log out and back in, which means that programs that I normally have running had not been launched. When I ran these one by one, I discovered that the Windows Task Manager, which I normally have running so I can keep an eye on things, seemed to be at the root of my problem. If the Task Manager is NOT running or is running with updates paused, the early line completion problem does not occur. If the Task Manager is then run, the problem appears. If the Task Manager is subsequently closed or updates paused, the problem remains until ArtRage is re-launched.

I also discovered that the same interaction occurs with the Photoshop Elements 10 lasso tool. Without Windows Task Manager running, the lasso is ok. With Task Manager running, the lasso autocompletes too early (this was the problem that had led me to the compatibility mode workaround in the first place). Interestingly, the ArtRage lasso tool seems to be unaffected by the Task Manager.

In view of MattRage's latest post, I also investigated my Wacom driver further. Despite the system reporting when I tried to update the driver that it was already up to date, I discovered that there WAS a newer driver available. I had some trouble installing this (I had to both uninstall the original driver AND remove some Wacom dll's from the System32 folder before installing the newly downloaded driver). However, the new driver seems not to have changed anything and the unfortunate interaction with Windows Task Manager remains.

For completeness, I looked in more detail at what happened with MattRage's original suggestions, now that I had installed the latest driver (driver version 3.2.1.1 from WacomTablet_6.3.9w3.exe). The only settings that made any difference were to have "Use RealTIme Stylus" ON and "Use Wintab" OFF. This combination actually made things worse - the straight line autocompleted after less than a second after pressing control.

Note: I actually did these experiments drawing lines with my wired mouse (which would suggest the Wacom driver and settings were not relevant anyway), but I have seen the same behaviour with the Wacom tablet and pen.

Current status: The simplest solution for me is to close the Windows Task Manager before launching ArtRage and not run it while using ArtRage. Alternatively, I can set ArtRage to run in Windows-8 compatibility mode (I have yet to see any drawback in doing this). However, it looks like there may be a problem here for the ArtRage software people to look into - it is interesting that the Photoshop lasso has the same problem as the ArtRage straight line, but that the ArtRage lasso is ok.