ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Exceptional Resource

Exceptional Resource

I know a lot of artists here use Photoshop to some degree or other in their process, though they may not use it to do the finished painting. The website I have listed below is the best tutorial gold mine I have ever seen when it comes to de-mystifying Photoshop as a painting software. The artist who runs the site, Matt Korr, is a digital artist working in the gaming industry, but the information he presents is applicable to all kinds of artistic creation. And I believe a great deal of the content, ideas and concepts would translate well to ArtRage. For instance there are several tutorials on using image stills captured from movies to learn more about composition, lighting and color palettes that I think many here would find useful.

His tutorials are EXTREMELY well done. Most are less than 5 minutes long and a huge portion of the content is FREE. His free tutorial library includes content from "how to's" using traditional mediums to completely digital concepts and how to make the transition from one to the other. I have never seen a resource this well done, offer this much information, so willingly, and at no cost. He does sell more in-depth content, all equally well presented, for purchase at a cost of $10.

If you would like to know more about Photoshop in particular, and discover some great ideas and concepts you can use in ArtRage as well, check out the tutorial library at...

www.ctrlpaint.com
    Last edited by jmac; 09-26-2014 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks James....Just reinstalled PS, still a mystery to me though....Thanks for the link, definitely will check it out!
    Take care friend,
    Steve

Brilliant. Thanks, jmac.

I've been using Photoshop since it was D-Paint on the Amiga -- well it wasn't the same, but at least one of the key guys there became a key guy at Adobe on that program so I make that leap and it sounds impressive to say. Anyway, Photoshop is the standard for what it does. And it's hard to knock knowing any program so well you don't have to think about it. So for me, it's nice to see something like this link because I can review his lessons and fine tune my method, or not, as the case may be, but without a lot of having to learn 12 things at once. Less disorienting. That's why short lessons is a very good idea.

I'm about to take a super deep dive into ArtRage. Would that there was such a site for that. So far between YouTube and these forums, it's making it so cool to explore this program. Thing about AR is that I get such good results without much fuss that I have a tendency to just stop there without learning all the tricks. But I still feel like a beginner is some ways because of that. And being a beginner has it's good side. Keeps my eyes open for new tricks.

And yeah, AR and Photoshop play very well together.

Thanks for the link! I'll go dig in at leisure.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

That's a great link, jmac. Thanks! I'm going to share it around.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    .......... If you would like to know more about Photoshop in particular, and discover some great ideas and concepts you can use in ArtRage as well, check out the tutorial library at...

www.ctrlpaint.com
    Thank you so much for this link. The resource looks very interesting with lots of good information.
    Cheers
    Maureen ❇

My Gallery

Glad you are finding this useful. I have watched every video on the site and own several of his commercial tutorials as well. I think even those familiar with Photoshop will find themselves saying often, "Wow! I didn't know you could do that!" I would especially call your attention to any tutorials you see regarding masking, selections and using layers. I think these things in particular translate well to ArtRage.

I found it cool the way he uses Sketchup 3D in some of his paintings....

Thanks for the link, it's awesome....