ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The big brothers

Exclamation The big brothers

Some distortions to shapes may provide a quite mysterious and dramatic outcome, especially if some sort of solid dimensionality may be simulated ...
    I hope You like such a weird departure of mine too. Looking for interpretations and feeling You get out of such a strange idea of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giants.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	83210  
    Last edited by Caesar; 09-24-2014 at 04:47 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Lovely contrast between background and foreground, and such fantastically muscular legs.

Caesar, I like these explorations a lot. they are very graphic ( as in something one might see in print or magazines ) great color and the cross hatching in the coat is a nice touch. This is very accomplished and the figures give a monumental, and powerful presence, I am not getting a humorous or funny hit from them , instead more of a satirical bite to them... great work dear friend!!!.

I like very much...!
    Most of all the point of view you chose, which makes us see the brothers as if we were at ringside ... (first seat)

Me gusta mucho.
    Sobretodo el punto de vista que has elegido, que nos hace ver a los hermanos como si estuviésemos en primera fila..
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Hi Caesar.....
    One of the shadowy sinister henchmen of the backroom power brokers on a night off taking in some culture, lucky enough to be invited backstage to meet 'Schlitzie' the prima ballerina of the Ballet company????
    Reminds of an satirical caricature accompanying a story in a quarterly political magazine....There's got to be a story in there somewhere!
    I really like it....
    Take care,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 09-24-2014 at 08:31 AM.

What a brilliant pair of slightly spooky characters. The whole painting works really well.

Isn't it great to be able to explore new concepts. Works well. The back ground and fore ground checker board effect lends to this a lot. I like the long long coat on the man. Surreal and fantasy combined.

What a trip! Yeah, it's a rather cool distortion effect. And as was mentioned, I really really like that herring bone effect on the overcoat. The man looks statuesque -- like a government agent -- looking tall and imposing and also a little heartless. Don't know about the woman though. She looks distorted in various different ways and even though it's a cool image, I can't quite tell what she's representing if anything more than what she appears -- a dancer.

Fun, trippy, can't wait for the next installment of SERIAL-SURREAL!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank You, dear Redsaucer! Actually there are several contrasts as well as distortions and unusual viewpoint in this sort of surreal painting. Foreground vs background, blue vs orange, a serious man with an overcoat and hat vs a happily dancing woman with a light attire and naked legs and arms. I started from the two weird figures drawing, than thought of a possible scenario at least as weird as the two protagonists and ... voilà. I cannot say what my unconscious or subconscious initially suggested to me.

Right, dear Gary! Their imposing presence isn't fun at all and is somehow disquieting in my intention, so tall, huge, distorted and weird. The interpretation of my loose mental bursts driving to this painting came afterwards. I tried to polish and finish it decently though, speedy enough as well anyway. The coat texture came from a crosshatching brush of artrage to save time and still give a good enough textural effect. Thank You!

Grazie caro Damaso! Goditi lo spettacolo in prima fila allora. E' uno strano tipo di varietà.
    Thank You, dear Damaso! Enjoy the show from the ringside then. It's a strange kind of variety (vaudeville).

Thank you dear Steve. What I can say is that I found out a possible story only afterwards. I started attracted by body distortions I saw applied to a sculpture on a book and later on to a dancer souvenir little statue. They came to my memory and I followed that direction until I eventually ended up with this surreal painting which may have a meaning, although I'm not sure if it's just one of the likely explanation I may cook up a posteriori or if it was my subconscious or unconscious inspiration a priori (see also my ending comment to D Akey to this purpose).

You're right, dear Robyn, they're spooky to me too this time and vaguely disquieting like the stories and some characters in a book of Carlos Ruiz Zafon, if You ever read one of his books. Thank You!

Your keen observations are absolutely interesting, dear Tony! Thank You! You made me think that I eventually had visual inspiration who led me to a vivid fantary/ surreal composition which may remind, to some extent, a Fellini's movie scene that he used to draw and paint before on his handbook.

Dear D Akey, all You say is just perfect. I may try a possible further reading or explanation of this image. It wasn't consciously what was clearly in my mind upfront, so it's as good as any other interpretation by You all. I see that the world in the background is more and more on fire, almost doomed, if we look to signals everywhere far from being weak ones. In such a situation many countries try to geopolitically consider their moves, as all of them were playing a simple chess game, trying to control, to drive, to enforce some rule (the man), but each major actor in this game has its own different chessboard and target, isn't considering the interactive challenge, so the threats cannot be properly faced at global level. On the other side, who can still enjoy life and may afford to have liitle consideration for the future and the overall prospects, go on dancing joyfully against the ruins of the civilization on the background. Who can predict the right, concurrent moves sequence in the long term so has to change our doom and get some sort of new equilibrium, new balance? This is the question. Thank You!

A strange final doubt. It's also possible that this painting is a close-up on two actually tiny lilliputians who are on the top af a big round ball and who will have to move accordingly should it start to roll ... LOL
    Last edited by Caesar; 09-24-2014 at 08:34 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

This works so well. Very clever how it still reads right. Always fascinates me. Great painting!