ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Drawing/Inking with Transparency

Drawing/Inking with Transparency

Hello! I am using ArtRage 3.5.5 on Windows 7 64-bit. I was wondering if it was possible to draw in ArtRage using transparency as a color when using the Ink Pen (and possibly the pencil or art marker) tool. I find it easier to erase with the tool I'm drawing with set to transparent, rather than the ArtRage eraser tool which feels unwieldy and inaccurate to me. I also like to 'carve' out details this way. Previously, I have tried using Multiply layer mode and a white pen, but it does not make the white completely transparent. Matching the color with an untextured background also doesn't seem to work, as the color always shows a bit.

If it's not clear by what I mean by drawing with transparency, here is a screen of the option in Manga Studio 5:
    Name:  dghfjfj.png
Views: 154
Size:  717 Bytes

I'm afraid not.

The closest thing we have is using the "Paint Area" selection tool in Studio Pro and ArtRage 4 (but not ArtRage Studio - I'm not sure which you have).

It lets you use a 'paintbrush' style tool to paint out an area (the red line below). Unlike the other selection tools, it acts more like a Stencil, so you'll need to invert it to delete the selected area.

As you can see, it has a variety of settings.

Name:  paint area selection tool studio pro.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  81.0 KB
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

This is something I have wanted also. I have a very limited work-around using Mike and Yael's KillWhite filter. I use a white marker as a precise eraser, then use KillWhite to take the white out of the layer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KillWhite as eraser..jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	83176