Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No palm rejection

The Palm Rejection toggle in ArtRage relies on how your device identifies the size of the touch on its screen. This will generally work if you're using a finger to paint with, but there's a problem when using a stylus.

Fine tip styluses like the Wacom Intuos Creative, or the Adonit Pixelpoint styluses create touches on the screen that are frequently detected by the iPad as being larger than a palm. The result is that palm rejection becomes significantly less reliable when you're using a fine tip stylus. Not only that, but the size of your finger can vary significantly based on factors such as how humid it is, so it's not a precise switch.

That said, I do appear to be able to rest my hand on the iPad while using the Wacom stylus here but we're looking in to stylus support currently so we'll check it out and see what we can see before we submit the 2.0.1 update, Wacom themselves provide a touch rejection option that may also be of use here (you can set it to toggle via one of the buttons on your pen).

Have you turned it on and it's not working? Or have you just not found the setting?

Go to Menu > Preferences > Stylus Preferences to toggle Palm Rejection on (it doesn't need a stylus).

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Have you turned it on and it's not working? Or have you just not found the setting?

Go to Menu > Preferences > Stylus Preferences to toggle Palm Rejection on (it doesn't need a stylus).
    Yes it's on ! But when my palm touch the screen 1 ms just before the stylus when approaching my hand, it palm rejection doesn't work.
    Also, since the 2.0 version there is a big offset ! It wasn't there with previous version.

See my explanation above regarding palm rejection - If you are touching lightly then you're likely creating a touch smaller than the 'palm' threshold so it's being seen as a touch.

Regarding offset: Fine tip styluses require that you tell them how you hold them. The fine tip hardware causes a big offset that their systems need to compensate for. Go to Preferences and look for 'Stylus Use' - Select the type of grip that you will be using (Right Handed or Right Handed Upwards are most common). This is unfortunately a limitation of the hardware, it's likely that your 1.6 was set differently which is why you're seeing more of an offset.

I perfectly understand the point for palm rejection !
    But why is it working perfectly well in the wacom app, Bamboo Paper ? It's like drawing on paper, and my hand never draws plots, lines and never move or zoom the area.
    Maybe palm rejection can be increased in Artrage (it would be perfect !) ? Why not to enable touch on the drawing area only if stylus pressure is detected ?
    For the offset, I solved the problem by restarting the application. That's ok now !

If you turn on Touch Rejection when using the Wacom pen strokes will only be created if they have pressure - At the moment you can do this by assigning Touch Rejection to one of the Wacom pen buttons in the Preferences panel. We're looking in to some further changes we can make in an update as well.

With the "Touch Rejection" assigned to a button, it works weird...
    Sometimes, it zooms when I draw (with my palm on the screen) and sometimes nothing is written whereas I press hardly the stylus (without my palm on the screen)...
    And Offset may varies (tested with both Right Handed and Right Upward handed). Sometimes it's ok and sometimes there is a huge offset.
    I'll wait for next update.

The offset generated by the stylus isn't something we can do anything about internally unfortunately, it's a hardware issue that Wacom apply some adjustments for in their system but we rely on that system to fix issues.

For touch rejection - We'll continue to look in to it but it sounds like there may be some lag causing the Wacom tablet system to provide touches that don't have pressure (and are therefore technically not stylus events) which could cause a multitouch event to trigger.

Hello,

I have the same problem. I've installed the last iOS and palm rejection isn't working. Have you solved this issue?

Palm rejection may or may not work depending on a large number of factors. If you've not got a stylus selected then how hot or humid your environment is can affect the detection of touch sizes, which iPad you're using may also have an effect. Get in touch with us at [email protected] and let us know what stylus you're using (if any) and what iPad you have and we can let you know if there's anything you can do.