ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Into the woods (my file corrupted)

Unhappy Into the woods (my file corrupted)

I have been on holiday in Cumbria, whilst there I did a digital painting, from memory painting my surroundings. The woodland with the light coming through the trees, the orange glow through the branches, the orange leaves on the ground, autumn on its way. I spent 5 days solid 4 hours a day, sketching on my ipad using artrage, incrementally saving my work, the piece was all about finished, I saved it and it crashed mid save, losing everything, obviously a corrupt file. So not happy, at all. All I was left with was a thumbnail. I can't even resurrect it using the PNG file. So, next time I will have to remind myself to not only save my work but do copies too.

All I was left with was mona lisa giving me a smug look :P

Name:  intothewoods.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  52.3 KB
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

Ouch. Sorry to hear it, Jules. Must make you sick.

But it is quite a lovely thumbnail. Meanwhile perhaps you could practice saving toenails? Tasteless, I know.

Anyway, just trying to cheer you up a little. That really sucks. I've learned the hard way in any program, even word processing programs to save a working copy and also to save another version that I add to the name "xyz.bak.doc" on the heels of saving the working copy "xyz.doc" just to avoid that happening to me -- again and again and again. Seems electronics always run the risk of losing everything and steps must be taken to cover one's ass, especially in a business/deadline context or when one spends so much time on it -- as you had. So sorry.

But it's good to see you back again.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hi D Akey, as always you cheer me up, wish you had been there at the time, you know that oh no feeling and the shiver that runs down your back when you know when you will never see your piece of work again. I didn't even have a thumbnail to show, lots of faffing with the ipad to get even that back, I dunno how I did it. Its only art, but a lot of hours lost where I could have been out on my mountain bike getting lost.. again haha!! Thanks.
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

oooh Jules , was a disappointment, that has happened to be a couple of times and the sudden shock of knowing what you just lost! but a lovely thumbnail and great to hear from you again.

So sorry to hear that but keep in mind that you surely enjoyed while doing it and it certainly improved also your skills, so not everything went lost, besides you might use it as your Avatar to stay forever there . For what it's worth I think you did a wonderful job. Cheers
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/andreamgart

That's what art's about, isn't it -- at some point it's about the relationship between the art and the viewer, sort of like speed dating. (D Akey)

How heartbreaking! It seems like such a beautiful work.

It looks lovely. What a pity. Are you sure it's not on your ipad somewhere though. I have an android tablet and it's frustrating where things are saved. I've found stuff I'd forgotten about. Maybe check your file manager, if Apple has such a thing ;-)

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. You might want to check (crossing fingers here) under "File > Open Recent". It displays a list of stuff you were working on??? Also you can use that to perhaps see file names. I often save things that I forget exactly how I named it. And when I do a search I get no hits because one digit is off or something. Just a thought as hildee got me thinking on digging for it. I feel like such a file manager more so than an artist or musician or anything else. Crikee -- so many files doth a terabyte have. . .

Come on Jules. . . here's hoping you can find a version yet. . .
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Beautiful painting Jules. So sorry to hear about your crash.
    Cheers
    Maureen ❇

My Gallery

It's really a pity, dear Jules, looking at the amazing thumbnail You attached! But as You know, nothing lasts forever and corruption is all over the world and the ITC world as well. The elves and spirits of that wood probably just didn't want You show their dwellings and maybe we could also spot them among the leaves and shadows from Your full size painting if it stayed, and this could not happen, so .... an hacker elf worked it out!
    Last edited by Caesar; 09-18-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!