ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: iOS file size

iOS file size

Hello,
    I have a question about the iPad app: if I wanted to submit a painting for printing on high quality, what would be the best way? Export to Camera Roll or send to email? In these case, why some files have +- 400kb and others have +2Mb. The size is the same: 2048 px x 1536px. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

The iPad app has several different ways to export files, and the paintings can be exported in three different formats. The different formats are going to be largely responsible for the different sizes. However, the amount of detail (e.g. colours, lines) will also change the amount of information encoded in a particular file, thus changing the total size.

The three different file types are JPG (or JPEG), PNG and PTG.

JPEG is of the smallest, and are designed for easily sharing images online. They are also the primary format used for photographs, and the the commonest image file format. You should never have a problem with your file being recognised by a program if you're using JPEG.

The problem with JPEG is is that you cannot safely edit them; every time you save any changes, the quality of the painting degrades. This is a not really noticeable if you just edit it once, but over time it can be a significant problem, and by the time you realise that your painting is getting fuzzier it's usually too late to save it.

PNG is the one you want to use if you're going to keep editing your picture in other programs than ArtRage. It doesn't lose any image quality when you edit, and it handles transparency. However the files will tend to be a bit bigger.

PTG is ArtRage's native file format. You want to use this if you're going to continue working with your painting on your computer, or at you're backing up your original files.

If you export to the camera roll, you are exporting as a JPEG.

If you export to email, you can choose from all three formats.

If you are not doing anything else with the file, but printing straight away, then it doesn't really matter what you use.

There is also more information about exporting from the iPad, and the different file types here: How to share paintings from the iPad
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thank you very much! This information was very useful. Best wishes!