ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Update From Missouriville

Update From Missouriville

I haven't posted much lately, but a lot has been going on.
    I went to a get together and met some cousins I didn't know I had. I think that has more meaning to me that most people because most folks know where they came from. I've also waited for months for our 40th high school reunion. I never cared in the past but as I get older it means more. It was kind of funny, all of us old people with no hair or teeth. The women were even worse. I wanted to stay the full 4 hours but I had to make the choice between that and my daughter. I wish I could have stayed for the group picture. We plan to have another one in 5 years, if I live that long.

Also, for the first time I'm taking some real art lessons. My wife signed me up for my birthday. It's online but it's live streaming and he also does one on one. http://http://thevirtualinstructor.com/He teaches drawing, painting, several medias and a live session every week. He also teaches digital art but only photoshop and illustrator. I'm trying to get him to include AR. I've learned a lot already. The mods here might think this has nothing to do with AR but it does. AR gave me the base to start from and I still use it every day. I make a point of drawing every day with real media. I've started drawing places from my childhood that only exist in my memory now.
    I bought some Gouache and have been getting used to them. I noticed that a lot of pros use lead holders so I found one on ebay and am quite happy with it.
    Name:  holder.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  21.5 KB
    I consider this bunch my friends, and people who know me know that I'm very selective about how I use that word. Anyway, this is George signing off.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Glad your journey sounds so fulfilling. Never know who you'll meet along the way.

Your link isn't working by the way.

As to what the pros use, if you find something still on the market, chances are some of the pros use it. Keeps em in business, dontcha know.
    It certainly is a nice tool if you're going to use it. I had stuff like that but I drew infrequently enough as an end result that I just used any old pencil. It's kind of like guitar pics and they're so commonplace and not something to keep track of. . . pencils just keep disappearing. Also it's not so much about the pencil or the pic, but it's about the skill of the artist using them. I think Brian May from Queen was the one who used a quarter as a signature two bit guitar pic and he put it to good use. Pencils are not unlike that.

Whatever gets you fired up about doing art, it's the right thing for you.

By the way, gouache is phenomenal as a medium. It's fallen out of favor in certain circles, but it rocks. I love it. Used to be one of the more popular mediums in commercial art. They handle beautifully. Just be mindful that when they dry the values change some from when you first apply them.

Go man go!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by D Akey; 09-18-2014 at 01:42 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Yeah, I've really fallen for the lead holder, it's great for shading. I knew Gouache dried darker, as acrylics. I don't buy everything I see, I'm too impoverished for that. If I see something interesting I do a lot of research before I spend any money. Ok, I'm a tightwad in addition to being poor. I had a pretty good idea of how this worked when I ordered it. I regret my choice of lead though. I got 12 pieces of 2B. I'm going to get some 6B too.

Weird about the link, it works for me. You can find him on youtube by searching for 'the virtual instructor.

Thanks for the link gms, very handy. Just realised why your link doesn't work - it has two "http"s.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    Thanks for the link gms, very handy. Just realised why your link doesn't work - it has two "http"s.
    http://thevirtualinstructor.com/ Right. This one works.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Aren't I the silly one.