ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Island-Hopping Corsairs - work-in-progress

Cool Island-Hopping Corsairs - work-in-progress

During WWII, in the air war against Japan, the F4U Corair's and other fighters were used on island-hopping missions to help the push back of the advancing Japanese Empire. I have a special interest in this subject having lived in Guam and Hawaii for a number of years and also visiting Wake Island.

In this piece, I am portraying a typical, though not exactly specific situation of two earlier model F4U-1A Corsairs (such as the ones that Pappy Boyington and his "Black Sheep" squadron flew) sitting at a typical Pacific island while two Corsairs fly over the base in the background. Island coconut palms lining the background. There will also be thunderheads building up in the backdrop as well.

Here are a few work-in-progress screenshots. The canvas I am working on is 40" x 24" and suitable for printing through my gallery with Fine Art America.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9641.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	83044
    Initial sketch concept with pencil on Canson paper.

Name:	Islandhoppingcorsairs-AR-wip2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	83043
    I scanned in my sketch and redrew the scene in ArtRage. I later replaced the single Corsair in favor of the pair.

Name:	Islandhoppingcorsairs-AR-wip4.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	326.2 KB 
ID:	83045
    Starting to block in the initial colors, using photo references as a guide. Weathering will be applied on a separate layer.

Name:	Islandhoppingcorsairs-AR-wip6.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	290.8 KB 
ID:	83046
    Working on the engine details

Very cool! Do you use Oil Brush for blocking in colors?

Quote Originally Posted by TomasBj View Post
    Very cool! Do you use Oil Brush for blocking in colors?
    Thank you! Yes, I sure did and I used the palette knife in different ways to blend.