ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wacom Bamboo Stylus Fineline support?

Red face Wacom Bamboo Stylus Fineline support?

I know that the latest update includes support for the new Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus 2, but does it also include support for the Bamboo Fineline? It'd be cool if it did, since there's at least some pressure sensitivity

I just took a chance... Deleted the app, then reinstalled it back onto my iPad, fixed up settings to work with the stylus, and now it's working. Not too shabby!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kpaw333 View Post
    I just took a chance... Deleted the app, then reinstalled it back onto my iPad, fixed up settings to work with the stylus, and now it's working. Not too shabby!
    Thanks!
    I've been having issues getting it to be compatible. It doesn't seem like the version I'm using is compatible. It's 1.6.5, which I've been told is the latest. But the stylus isn't listed under settings, and even if I choose "intuos creative" as the closest thing, palm rejection isn't turned on and it barely recognizes the stylus unless I press really hard. I've already opened a support ticket about this but I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issue.

If you are getting any pressure support (and it sounds like you are because you mention you have to press hard) then it's connected correctly. ArtRage uses pressure in a number of different ways depending on the tool you are painting with and the way that tool would interact with a canvas. The ink pen shows the most obvious difference, oil generates some pressure variance but not as much as you might expect if you are used to digital paint systems that just vary size based on pressure. Increasing pressure will increase things like the displacement of paint volume on the canvas and other things that may be less obvious.

However - The fineline does appear to have a smaller pressure curve than the Intuos Creative. The toolkit Wacom provide gives us all of the information we get regarding the pressure values and I suspect it's just a smaller range to avoid large variance that can seem clunky in some systems that produce big pressure range differences in their tool heads. Try upping the pressure value in the tool settings panel to increase the baseline of the pressure range.

Regarding palm rejection - The standard button Wacom use for Palm rejection on the Intuos Creative appears to be different on the fineline (the standard button is button 2, which they don't include on the fineline) which is why palm rejection isn't being turned on when you press the side button. We will be redoing how support for those buttons work when we release our next big update and at that point we should be able to allow you to reconfigure it so that the fineline can also use the Palm Rejection feature.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

That's really frustrating. It "works" but it seems really pointless to even bother using the app if the palm rejection feature isn't even an option yet. I can't draw without resting my hand against the screen. I'm really disappointed that I have to wait, when it was made to sound like it was already fully supported. That was really misleading on ArtRage's part.

We support the palm rejection system on the Intuos Creative Stylus and will add support for that to the single button stylus in the future. Pressure is supported as I noted before. I don't believe we have advertised palm rejection for the fineline but I will look in to it to see if it has been mentioned anywhere.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

On the artrage.com announcement page:

"The new styluses feature more durable, better designed and narrower nibs, which can be used with precision on any capacitive touchscreen, from tablets to smart phones, as well as palm rejection which is fully supported by ArtRage and can be toggled on and off with a sideswitch."

That pretty much sounds to me like it supports the fineline palm rejection. It also lists under stylus specifications that it has palm rejection. That may apply only to the stylus and not artrage, but even if that's the case, nowhere on this page does it attempt to clarify that artrage doesn't support that feature for the fineline. I find that to be pretty misleading.

We've adjusted that announcement to make it clearer. I'm also looking at a quick update to add support to the fineline as well. Unfortunately our default support used the Button 2 standard Wacom suggested for activating touch rejection, and the fineline only has Button 1.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by trinosaur View Post
    On the artrage.com announcement page:

"The new styluses feature more durable, better designed and narrower nibs, which can be used with precision on any capacitive touchscreen, from tablets to smart phones, as well as palm rejection which is fully supported by ArtRage and can be toggled on and off with a sideswitch."

That pretty much sounds to me like it supports the fineline palm rejection. It also lists under stylus specifications that it has palm rejection. That may apply only to the stylus and not artrage, but even if that's the case, nowhere on this page does it attempt to clarify that artrage doesn't support that feature for the fineline. I find that to be pretty misleading.

Hi there - that was my fault, and I removed it a couple of hours ago from the original article (edit: probably just after you looked at it! I was editing about ten minutes before you posted here)

We fully support palm rejection in the Intuos Creative Stylus 2, which I was also talking about, and everything I'd seen suggested that palm rejection was fully supported in all apps with fineline support, so I didn't doublecheck that detail.

We do *technically* support the technology, we just don't have a way to turn it on and off, as Matt explained above (which effectively means it's not currently supported, as far as users are concerned, but when you're discussing it with programmers, you're usually talking about whether the program can do it at all - hence my oversight).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

We're just testing an update that allows the fineline to trigger Touch Rejection and changes pressure detection to support the lower range the fineline has on it and allow a full range inside ArtRage. I will be uploading it to the app store soon but it will probably take around a week to get approval as the iOS8 release date is soon.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.