Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Understanding the ArtRage 4 Blending Engine

I second Marks anticipation!

This will be quick. Note: this is not meant to render a realistic ball or shadow it's just meant to illustrate a blending technique.

First use an oil brush like this:

Name:  NiceShader.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  25.7 KB

Now sample one of the colors (press the ALT key on the PC for the eyedropper) that you want to blend and start to shade over the other color as in this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlendStart.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	87889

Note: You should set your eyedropper to sample the color without lighting.

Now in the area of overlap there are a good number of intermediate shades. Choose one that seems to be about the shade half way between the upper and lower colors using the ALT KEY and create a third band as in this (I've hidden the layer with the ball):

Name:	Blend2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	87890

Repeat the process at each of the two remaining band interfaces. You can use the brush in a fashion similar to that used to shade with a pencil, slowly moving along the border while rapidly back and forth across the border. Soon the result will be this:

Name:	Blend3.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	87891

Keeping a good eye on the colors and how you need to blend more or less of one or another color, keep sampling and shading in this fashion and you eventually get this:

Name:	BlendFinal.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	87892

Although this is more like a process of "shading", it achieves blending with accurate colors, with little to no saturation artifacts.

For now I myself am using this technique as the best way I can blend (with oil brushes) in ArtRage.

Hope this was helpful!

Nicely done. Very good demonstration.

Interesting, thanks for posting that DarkOwnt. Time to go and experiment with it now I think
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.14.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M

PLEASE NOTE:

I forgot to mention, for the NiceShader brush I have removed "Size" from the "Pen Pressure" setting of the "Stylus Properties".

This allows maintaining the brush size when applying hardly any pressure which is needed when covering large areas with the shader.

Thanks jmac and markw.

Hope you find it useful!

Let me know if you do!