ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Convert color image to black and white?

Convert color image to black and white?

Hello,

I found and read two older posts about switching a color image to black and white, but in version 3.5.5 it looks different. Unfortunately, I can't figure it out.

Will someone please give me some detailed steps?

Best Regards,
    David

If you're using ArtRage Studio (ArtRage 3) or higher, you can follow these steps to convert a colored layer to black and white:

• Select Edit → Adjust Layer Colors... (points 1 and 2 in screen shot)
    • On the Adjust Color panel, drag the "color" slider all the way to the left (point 3 in screen shot).
    • Click "OK" to set the changes (point 4).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	makeBW.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	82881

I'll note, for anyone who may be using ArtRage 2 still, that the same effect can be achieved using layer blend modes. Here's how to do that:

• Create a new layer above the color layer you're going to make black and white.
    • Fill the newly created layer in completely, with pure black using any tool you wish.
    ○ Be sure that the whole layer if filled and that the fill is solid, with no gaps or transparent areas.
    • Set the layers "blend mode" to "color".
    • Then merge the two layers together.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 09-08-2014 at 03:34 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you SomeoneSane,

Unfortunately, my menu's don't look like yours. My edit menu doesn't have those options.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot for ARage.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	82904

If I may comment here, from your screenshot there it looks to me like you are using ArtRage3 Studio and not ArtRage3 Studio Pro which would explain the lack of 'Adjust Layer Colours…' option.
    As a workaround add a layer above the image you have there and set the new layer's 'Blend Mode' to 'Saturation'.
    Now go to the Bucket/Fill tool and fill the new layer with 100% black.
    You could now export the B&W image.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by barnum View Post
    Thank you SomeoneSane,

Unfortunately, my menu's don't look like yours. My edit menu doesn't have those options.
    You must be using the regular version AR Studio (only the Pro version had the color adjustment panel). Did you try following the second set of steps I listed? They were meant for use in ArtRage 2, but they'll work in your version, as well.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.