ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Printing

Printing

I wish to print a painting.
    I have used print size and have set the size to 11 by 8.5 (standard letter size).
    But I'm using very expensive paper and I don't want to do a test run.
    My question is: does artrage calculate and automatically go to landscape mode or do I have to do that in printer settings?
    I'm using Artrage 4.5.1 and a Samsung CLP 365 laser printer.

When you press 'print', doesn't a box come up with an image of how your painting looks on the paper? Landscape or Portrait? Most do.....

If not, you should be able to alter it in your preferences.

So far the only thing that has happened is that Artrage says wait. See screenshot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2014-09-04 16.40.58.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	82811  

First let me say that I've never printed direct from AR. I always export as an image file first, TIFF or PNG and print from that.
    So, having said that;
    On my Mac I think I would need to first go to 'Page Setup…' from AR's File menu and choose which orientation to use before choosing 'Print Painting'.
    I see in your screenshot that it says the printer is "Off Line" maybe that's why its just sitting there waiting?

I understand you not wanting to use up expensive paper in test runs but could you not do some test prints with cheaper paper first to determine orientation?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

The "ArtRage is Busy" panel is most likely showing because it's waiting for instructions. Here are the steps I take in order to print a landscape image (keep in mind that not all computers and printers work the same way, however):

1 - Select Print Painting from the File menu
    2 - Be sure you have selected an active printer.
    • The Status should read "Ready" if it's online.
    3 - Click the Preferences button.
    4 - Locate the Orientation options and select Landscape from the drop menu (4-a).
    5 - Select OK to close the Print Preferences panel.
    6 - Select Print to print the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	printlandscape.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	82812
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Ingram View Post
    But I'm using very expensive paper and I don't want to do a test run.
    You could always do a test run on cheap paper at the size you want?

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    First let me say that I've never printed direct from AR. I always export as an image file first, TIFF or PNG and print from that.
    So, having said that;
    On my Mac I think I would need to first go to 'Page Setup…' from AR's File menu and choose which orientation to use before choosing 'Print Painting'.
    I see in your screenshot that it says the printer is "Off Line" maybe that's why its just sitting there waiting?

I understand you not wanting to use up expensive paper in test runs but could you not do some test prints with cheaper paper first to determine orientation?
    That's what I finally figures out, to export to a graphics program and print from that.
    Artrage never quit saying "busy wait". I assume it was calculating values or something.
    Anyway job is done and thanks for all your help.
    (BTW, while the busy box was showing, nothing else on the computer worked.)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Ingram View Post
    (BTW, while the busy box was showing, nothing else on the computer worked.)
    The busy box remains open for as long as the printing window is up (you can see it beneath my other panels, in my previous posts screen shot). I'm not sure why things would've slowed down or stopped responding.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.