ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A Glass Vase

A Glass Vase

I hope it looks like glass - I spent ages adjusting the reflected window and still don't know if I got it right I used friskets for the shaping.

Name:  vase-th.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  39.3 KB
    Last edited by Enug; 08-31-2014 at 02:23 AM.

A valiant effort, June. You picked a super challenging thing to paint. There are tricks to painting glass because there are lots of reflections each with their own distinct quality -- sort of like Eskimos have 27 words for snow (or something like that). This has various qualities of trapping and reflecting light. That's why the photographer put it against black. To show the light and the shapes it creates in a very clear way -- cause it's beautiful to look at.

Glass vases and glasses are a whole universe. You have the overall glass that has the surface sheen kind of reflection (that window bit) and it needs to conform to the bow of the surface. You have the edges that you're looking on sidelong where light and shadow is picked up in there but in very sharp narrow vertical curved bands. And you have to know which to put in and which are unnecessary. Then, you picked a glass that has opaque color bits melted into it and stretched when formed into the vase shape.

Yeah, a little bit challenging I'd say. And it's the kind of painting in which you really want to nail the character of the glass in a sharp way, not a watercolory way or loose way -- that is if you're after showing all those surfaces. Watercolor interpretation of this item would be a watercolor with the idea of a vase of this kind involved, but not true to its qualities.

Not saying you're going watercolor, but I'm pointing out that taking on this kind of subject sort of requires the exactitude and rendering that a photographic painting would offer. . . more or less. This is a product shot to illustrate the inherent beauty of the item, and not the inherent beauty of the painting. Of course, pull it off and people will be duly impressed. So it stands to satisfy that reason for painting it. The other reason of course is to see what it takes to replicate something like this and you're finding out.

Go June Go!!!!!!! Excellent expansion and setting challenges for yourself.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Yes, I knew that I had to stretch the reflection to follow the shape of the object (that reflection wasn't on the reference photo) and I couldn't visualise how it should go. A bit of research would have helped. I used a square stencil and duplicated, transformed, etc., but the transformation tool is limited, doesn't work like nodes on vectors. I tried a bit of freehand 'smearing' with the knife to stretch the 'window'.

I bit off a bit more than I could chew but the original was so pretty and I loved the shapes, I just had to give it a try. Thanks for the insight on glass painting - I'll leave that for the experts.

Don't give up! It's definitely learnable. Everybody just has to dive in and try. And the first try almost always shows you what you need to work on and learn. That's an often overlooked step because disappointment gets in the way -- but it's my old tried and true way of learning = discovery from not quite getting it. Disappointment drove me nuts until I could figure out why some people could do it and I couldn't. So I had to learn it so I could relax.

When I had trouble with things like this in the old days, before the internet with it's endless supply of tutorials, I would go into art supply stores and look at the different how-to books, from simple to sophisticated. Then I would go home and try it out while it was fresh in my mind. Often times it worked too. Not always and I had to fumble around until it all sort of fell into place. But most often there was a little trick in one of the books I could assimilate while browsing.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream