ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Sheep

Sheep

From a reference. Trying for a loose yet painterly look - not there yet but trying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheep-th.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	82698

A lovely warm expression June.

Look at some photos of sheep's eyes. Really unusual the way the pupil is a horizontal rectangle.

Attachment 82700

Really nice. Very woolley.

There are countless ways to approach a painting. One thing that I've always loved about painterly work is when they use various marks and push color in interesting ways. It's then about the painting and the painter and their stylistic choices as much as about the subject. Sort of like the range of certain performances by Richard Harris in a dramatic moment where on one hand you're totally wrapped up in who he's pretending to be while on the other you're thinking, damn, what a performance!

Then again there are the kinds of paintings, often in watercolor, in which there is a very complete bit of more finished and rendered work as the focal point and they have evidence of the more scruffy and slap dash at the edges. That's another device that I've always liked. What those things I mention accomplish is variety in which certain parts of the painting play off of the other. Just as a point of consideration when you look around the internet at other works of art. You might want to think about variations in a painting and how to use them.

This is a good painting as you explore what you can do. It's very even and calm, which is probably appropriate with a sheep as the subject -- in that they're not particularly flamboyant animals (usually). But it's not exploiting some of the things you can do to make a painting jazzy and compelling to the viewer.

Go June Go!!!!!
    Last edited by D Akey; 08-29-2014 at 12:37 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks to Ms. Copespeak, Hildee and Mr. Akey.
    Robin, yes I was aware of the rectangular pupil in sheep's eyes and also goats when we started raising them, but I didn't know that octopuses and toads have them too!

Rectangular: Sheep, Goats, Octopuses and Toads have these rectangular shaped pupils. Typically classified as prey, these animals need to have a defense both day and night. But they don't have vertical slits due to their need to survey their surroundings more accurately. The narrower the pupil in relation to the horizon, the greater the accuracy of depth perception is in the peripheral vision of the animal. The perception of depth must be considered with these animals who spend their time evading predators in a rugged terrain.
    What surprised me more was when raising my first pet lamb, I found that she had no upper teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    What surprised me more was when raising my first pet lamb, I found that she had no upper teeth!
    Poor thing was ill suited to be a carnivore I would imagine. . . <sigh>
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Most ruminants have no upper teeth but a dental pad instead - I didn't know that and was waiting for the top teeth to 'come thru'. City girl moving to the country!

Horses have a horizontally elongated pupil as well. It's the 'fight or flight' thing!