ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Feature requests: better layer management! multiple tracing layers!

Feature requests: better layer management! multiple tracing layers!

1. Layer management gets very difficult when stacking more than 8 or 9 layers, requiring constant scrolling. In addition it is tough to see at a glance the current layer state. I wish there were options for

- easier layer naming - is there a way to quickly rename layers by clicking or keyboard shortcut? multiple button clicks required to name each layer, hidden in a menu. Not efficient for something done so frequently
    - layer icon resizing - collapse icon previews to layer names or have the option for smaller layer icons to increase amount of layers visible onscreen
    - Layer groups - PLEASE! - this would solve the "too many layers" problem by allowing groups or folders like in photoshop, that can be collectively hidden and / or collapsed. Would really increase workflow speed. As it is I simply have to use multiple artrage docs and switch between them when I go beyond 10 layers. Slow and frustrating.
    - more visible indication of layer visibility - tough to see whether eye is filled or not. Could hidden layers be grayed out?
    - Option to select multiple layers - specifically for hiding / merging. Having to click 10 eyeballs while scrolling through layer palette is slow.

Tracing layers:

- please allow palette to switch between tracing images.
    - Ability to overlay and quickly place multiple tracing images
    - allow tracing image to be fully visible at 100% opacity (not with grayish canvas filter) Sometimes need to see complete unfiltered tracing image

I would be happy to participate in any beta testing if needed
    Thanks for your time and this amazing software.
    -Fstop
    Last edited by fstopdigital; 08-21-2014 at 04:56 AM.

Hi fstopdigital
    Good news, one of your request, that of Layer Groups, is already granted!
    Shift+Command+G on a Mac is the shortcut to make a new one or you can click the folder icon at the bottom of the Layers Panel.
    Once a Layer Group is made you can then drag into it any layers you want grouped there. A Layer Group as a whole can also be made visible/hidden similar to single layers.
    You can also have Layer Groups within other Layer Groups too.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

And you can set a selected layers name by using a shortcut key. You just have to set one, by going to Edit → Set Keyboard Shortcut and setting a key for the "Set Layer Name" option, found within the "Layer Command" group.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

awesome, thanks for the help. right in front of my face with the folder icon. oops.

I don't know if it works like this for everyone else but it would be nice if my mouse's scroll wheel would allow me to scroll through scrollable palettes/pods etc. It would be much quicker than using the scroll bar. This is more specific (and probably selfish but what the hell) but I currently use a button on my wacom pen to quick access scroll/panning in documents - it's great when zoomed in and if I can't be bothered reaching for the ctrl or space key . It would be nice if that function applied to scrolling within palettes too.

Maybe double clicking/tapping on the layer preview could bring up a more unified window with perhaps the most common options all contained together: name, opacity, texture, blend modes. I think it would be quicker than navigating the drop down menu in the bottom right.

Just my tuppence worth