ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dragon love (cartoony)

Dragon love (cartoony)

Kind of a WIP.
    What do you think?
    Messing around with different media, mostly the felt pen though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desktop.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	82583

The grass is not done. I'm still thinking about removing some of the mountains and extending the grassland and maybe letting it end in some forest

It's cute and has potential. I would create distance by bringing forward the part the dragon is sitting on (add detail and brighter colour), so the mountains look further back

I'm looking at the opasity for the back layers of the mountains.
    Might redo them all together... I have a bit of a problem with getting a less intense colour trough with the feltpen.

Hi Chinchi, that's a cute image!
    Have you tried using the 'Adjust Layer Colour...' (cmd+J on a Mac or ctrl+J on Windows) option from the 'Edit' menu to make adjustments to the background mountains?

To adjust a whole layer select the desired layer and then choose 'Adjust Layer Colour...'.
    To affect only a part of a layer use the selection tool to isolate the area you want to adjust on a layer. While that area is still selected choose 'Adjust Layer Colour...'.

For adding some atmospheric perspective, i.e, bringing things forward or pushing them further into the distance in your image, your probably gong to want to be making adjustments with the following sliders:
    Contrast, Colour and possibly Brightness.
    In general things closer to the viewer should be darker and as they get far away should be more washed out and lighter.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

I'm messing around with the airbrush.
    I have a hard time using the controls you are talking about, because I feel like it's cheating

Quote Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
    I'm messing around with the airbrush.
    I have a hard time using the controls you are talking about, because I feel like it's cheating
    Then you might want to consider getting good at cheating if it makes the paintings look better, isn't it true? And practicality is something you might want to consider to not be a cheat.

Careful to not hamstring yourself with odd beliefs. I mean if you were really worried about cheating, you would probably want to dispense with the computer altogether, get yourself a bunch of clear cells, get a pen for your line and a brush for all your cell paint for the characters. And some Strathmore paper for the background. Plus you would probably want to check with the cartoonist's union to make sure you're employing enough workers. And if you wanted anyone in Canada to look at it, you would have to employ Canadians for a certain portion of the product.

See how silly that sounds? But those were all how it was done at one time and doing anything other than that was a cheat were you to ask the union or the Canadian trade people.

Using the tools is not a cheat. It's reasonable using all the tools you have available and being creative. Today, in this world, cheating would be if you steal someone else's work and pass it off as your own. Short of that, tools are to be used.

A parallel with playing guitar, when playing chords, teachers for beginners show specific fingerings. But that's only ever intended as a starting point. Using different fingers for the same notes is not a cheat and may well improve the sound and the ability to change chords and do other things. There are also alternative tunings for the guitar that allow for different things. One learns to exploit the characteristics of the guitar as one sees fit with the point being making music.

You're doing Art. You're taking something in your head and getting it out into the world in the way that suits your own voice best. And that's the only real thing you need to keep in mind. I suggest making it look the best you can as creatively as you want. Having said all that, the other point is to do what brings you pleasure. If that's your main goal, then go for that by all means challenging yourself to do it all longhand if that makes it more fun for you.
    Last edited by D Akey; 08-22-2014 at 05:29 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream