ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wacom - Eraser tip not working on 4.5.1

Wacom - Eraser tip not working on 4.5.1

Hi,

i am using a Wacom PTS-S without tilt support. Worked perfect with AR 4.0

Since i upgraded to 4.5.1, Artrage doesn't recognize the pen flip correctly. When i flip the pen from normal tip to erase, Artrage continues to use the previous mode, so i can erase with the tip and draw with the eraser.

If i do a "ghost" shake - simply a shake up and down without touching the tablet surface along the pen axis - the correct mode works again.

It's a problem of Artrage 4.5.1 32/64 only, flip and eraser works under Sketchbook, Pixelmator without any hassle. Wacom Diagnose shows pressure separately for Tip and Eraser.

HW: MacPro
    AR: 4.5.1 either in 32 and 64 Bit mode
    Tablet: CTH-480
    Wacom drivers: 6.3.8-2

What didn't work:
    Wacom drivers update/reinstall - drivers where up to date.
    Reset settings in Wacom
    Removed tilt setting in Tool
    Reset tool settings in AR
    Switched precise modes
    Switched touch support on the tablet
    Searched the forum

Seems to be a recurring error from older AR versions. For me, it looks that AR misses the first flip of the pen but get's it after the "ghost" shake.
    Maybe a problem with the ne tilt detection or AR missing messages from the tablet ?

Donami

This is actually a problem with the latest driver and it affects a number of applications. In testing we found that the previous driver works fine but the latest one on 10.9 specifically seems to have some problems recognising when the eraser tip is first being brought to the tablet and passing that information on to the application. We will do some research to see what we might be able to do to work around it but in the meantime the previous driver should work around the problem if you have access to it.

Update: We did some research and found out what's going on. The latest Wacom drivers for OS X appear to only tell you which tip is on the canvas (eraser or stylus) when the stylus point moves. Before this driver revision we got told which tip was active when the stylus came close to the tablet before even touching it. For apps that have simple paint models that just apply flat pixels such as Sketchbook, this isn't a problem because they can either add or remove pixels when the stylus moves. For ArtRage we have to do a lot of work when the stylus first goes down to prepare the simulation for erasing or the addition of paint material to the virtual canvas, which is why we need to process the tip state before the stroke starts.

For now, you can download the previous drivers from Wacom's site and they work fine. We're just getting in touch with some engineering contacts on their team to discuss this change.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanls, but...didn't solve the issue

Thank you for your fats response.

I think, as AR 4.0 worked fine with the current drivers from Wacom, you fixed it there, and this is missing in 4.5.1 again ?
    As i reinstalled AR4.0.6 from a backup the tips worked fine and as suspected with all 6.3x-x wacom drivers.

The two older drivers i could get from the Wacom site (6.36-4 and 6.37-3) did not solve the problem in AR 4.5.1.

I always uplugged/uninstalled/cleared caches/repaired permissions/rebooted/new installed. Same issues - i can draw with the eraser till the hover shake, which makes AR4.5 recognize the flip without drawing .

Can you tell me the version of previous working drivers ?
    Though i do not see any sense to downgrade drivers for updated applications, i would give them a try, because AR 4.5.1 ist much more responsive and in many many things better than AR4.0.6

Donami
    Last edited by Donami; 08-16-2014 at 01:02 AM.

We didn't fix anything related to this in 4.0 as it wasn't a problem at that point. We're working with Wacom's driver people currently but the latest driver appears to have changed something that prevents the new application receiving the messages we require (we process the same messages in exactly the same way in 4.0). I'll find a specific driver version number if I can - I believe that it was the first set of drivers prior to 10.9 but I need to confirm the exact number.

Oh - the easiest way to work around this with the current drivers is just to bring the stylus in close to the tablet after changing ends, then pull it away. At that point the message appears to get sent that the tools have changed.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thumbs up

Thanks a bunch ! Your support is fantastic !

i reverted to AR4.0.6 for some time, because that glitch disturbs my workflow a little bit and i can wait some time for a fix, though i like 4.5 much more.

Your described easy way was my "ghost" shake , but before i make genetic engrammed meme of this move for all time, i will stick with 4.0.6 for some weeks.

Donami

Same kind of thing here. I've just upgraded from Studio Pro to 4.5 and having issues with eraser recognition. My system is:

Mac Pro 2008, 10.8.5
    Intuos 4, driver 6.3.7-3

I'll try updating to the latest driver, but I just thought you might want to know that this problem is happening intermittently on an older OS and driver too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammers View Post
    Same kind of thing here. I've just upgraded from Studio Pro to 4.5 and having issues with eraser recognition. My system is:

Mac Pro 2008, 10.8.5
    Intuos 4, driver 6.3.7-3

I'll try updating to the latest driver, but I just thought you might want to know that this problem is happening intermittently on an older OS and driver too.
    Hi Hammers.
    I'm using driver 6.3.8-2 here and no problems as yet with my Intuos that I've noticed.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

I'll try with the newer driver if the issue happens again. Might try going Mavericks soon though, so we'll see

Here are the steps I took to get my eraser tip working right again:

1: Download wacom driver 6.3.3-3.

2: Uninstall currently loaded wacom driver with Wacom Tablet Utility located somewhere in your Applications Folder.

3: Reboot the Mac

4: Install wacom driver 6.3.3-3

...and that new driver from September 10th 2014? STILL MESSED UP!

(although I neglected to reboot in between uninstalling and reinstalling with that one, so that may be a factor)

Do not underestimate the power of step 3!

I'll get back in touch with Wacom and see if they can see the issue yet. I was informed that their internal driver build was working but if their latest release has problems they may be able to resolve them. Rebooting after driver uninstallation is something we always advise on Windows but I didn't think to try that on OS X as well so I'll give that a go here today and see if we need to add it to our driver troubleshooting procedure!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.