ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.5 and touch problem

4.5 and touch problem

Since upgrading from 4.06 to 4.5 touch has gone haywire. On my laptop's touchpad I used to be able to pinch to zoom (which still works) and use two fingers to scroll. Now pinch still works but two fingers won't scroll - it just zooms in if I move down and out if I zoom in. Other programs still work normally, only ArtRage is affected. Also, touch no longer functions at all on my Wacom Intuos. I have checked in preferences and Use Wintab and Use Touch Input are both ticked. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ArtRage but it is still the same. Any ideas ?

The most likely culprit here is Realtime Stylus. The first thing to do is check your Wacom settings in the Control Panel. Look in the Mapping tab for the tablet. If 'Use Windows Ink' is turned on then you can do one of the following:

1. Turn it off.
    2. Leave it on but go in to ArtRage and turn Use Wintab OFF and Use Realtime Stylus ON.

Use Windows Ink in the Wacom settings panel tells the Wacom driver to send out Realtime Stylus data. However, Wintab data can also be sent when this is on and because ArtRage is one of the few apps that can support both it can confuse the system.

Zooming when you use two fingers sounds like it relates to the way Windows is interpreting the gesture. Two finger drag gestures are interpreted internally by Windows as Mouse Wheel events, and if the system is getting confused regarding Wintab v. RTS then you're getting a zoom event which is the standard for a mouse wheel.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

touch and surface pro 3

Hi,

I seem to be facing the same issue going from 4.0 to 4.5.

Regards,

Philippe

If you have followed the steps I posted above and still have a problem please send a mail to support@artrage.com. Let us know the computer and operating system you are using, what settings you have in the Input section of the ArtRage Preferences Panel, what input device you are using, and what drivers you have installed for that input device and we can take a look at it.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I fixed my scrolling issue by ticking the CTRL + Mousewheel = Zoom setting.

Only problem I have now is that my Wacom pen button settings will no longer work with Artrage, though they were fine with 4.06. I've tried re-installing the drivers, deleting the old Artrage pen settings and re-creating them, but no joy.

Ctrl + Mousewheel = Zoom should definitely be turned on if you are using gestures for pan - That's the setting that tells ArtRage to treat incoming mousewheel events (the events Windows generates from two finger drag) as pan events and require Ctrl to be held down for zoom (Windows abstracts pinch gestures to Ctrl + Mousewheel).

Regarding other settings: The notes in my original post should resolve this. If your Wacom control panel is set to send Windows Ink, turn Wintab off and RTS on in ArtRage, otherwise, turn Wintab on and RTS off. The current round of drivers that attempts to send both standards to support older apps is playing havoc with apps that can support both!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I've tried every combination of settings, but nothing will get the pen buttons to work under the 'Artrage' application in the wacom control panel. It insists on using the 'All Other' default settings. This only seems to be a problem with Artrage - the button settings for other apps such as Photoshop work fine.

I can see the problem you're talking about however this system is entirely external to ArtRage. The Wacom panel is able to send ArtRage keystrokes (we know this because the All Other options work) so there's likely to be a problem in the Wacom system preventing their control panel properly identifying the application you have assigned. That part of the process is handled entirely by the Wacom system, ArtRage doesn't get involved until the keystroke is received.

I would suggest contacting Wacom customer support, they should be able to help in situations where express keys don't work in a profile. We will also have a chat with our contacts there to see if we can get them to look in to it at the driver end.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Update: I just heard back from Wacom and they have been having problems replicating the problem. However, I updated my drivers (it turns out I had 6.3.6) and the problem is now gone. Try this:

1. Download the current drivers (6.3.8-3 for Windows).
    2. Uninstall your current drivers and reboot.
    3. Install the new drivers and reboot when prompted.

These drivers allow me to assign express keys, while the previous ones didn't.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

The problem is that there is a bug in the latest 6.3.8 Windows drivers, in that if you move the pen to the extreme right side of the screen, the cursor jumps to the extreme left of the screen - if you are drawing then a horizontal line appears across the screen. Wacom acknowledged this bug and advised me to use the previous version. Given that the latest drivers are from April I'm amazed they haven't fixed this yet.