ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Another birch forest scene

Another birch forest scene

Last year I had watched a very old Russian 1964 film called Морозко (English title = "Jack Frost"). I actually first saw it on Mystery Science Theater 3000. But, though it was mocked by MST3K, I found the filmography in it to be quite beautiful despite the sudden cuts and edits, cultural story line, and vintage film look. The scenery was quite extraordinary in fact. So, I thought I'd take a chance on trying to emulate one of the scenes in it where a peasant girl is at a nearby river. She has a cruel stepmother and stepsister who force her to slave away for no good reason,sound familiar? Here's my start on it in ArtRage of my thoughts on that scene. The scene is a very beautiful scene of another birch forest. I guess you probably figured out that I really like birch trees. Now that I have the scene shaped up, I'll begin to do a value study just in grey-scale. For more information on the film, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Frost_(1964_film)

I'm drawing this scene large - 36" x 24"

Here's my work-in-progress on this one. I have a long way to go, obviously!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	???????-inspiration.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	82436
    The rough sketch.

Name:	birchforest-wip2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	82437
    The initial drawing of the girl in the scene

Name:	birchforest-wip5.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	82438
    Closeup
    Last edited by StratoArt; 08-12-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Wip

Here's an update. Now working in AR 4.5.

Using my custom stencils for the ground and old wood for the tree trunk. The birch trees have a different set of stencils for them (not shown, as I'm not working on them at the moment). My work here is 36"x24."
    (best when you click on the image to open it)

Name:	birchforest-wip6.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	456.7 KB 
ID:	82446

tree stump

Drawing the large tree stump in my birch forest scene. I'm using a few of the tree bark stencils that I have made to get some of the texture, but I don't want to just use pure stencils. I'm drawing a lot, but then only giving it a slight texture from the tree-bark stencils.

Name:	birchforest-wip7.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	332.2 KB 
ID:	82447

I bet you'll finish yours before I finish mine! Yours is the same size as what I'm working on. So nice in 4.5 that the app is finally able to take it without worrying whether it's going to crash or not!

Quote Originally Posted by dustinwilson View Post
    I bet you'll finish yours before I finish mine! Yours is the same size as what I'm working on. So nice in 4.5 that the app is finally able to take it without worrying whether it's going to crash or not!
    Haha, well, I dunno, sometimes I stall on a project depending on how busy I get with family and work. I usually only have a few hours every other night to work. I do art professionally, but this drawing is done in my off-work hours.

I just saw where they came out with the update to 4.5 so I'll download that.

Brambles.

Here, Iím showing my continued work on my birch forest scene. Iíve laid in the brambly area next to the girl. Thereís a lot of bushy foliage there with twigs, sticks and branches. The fallen tree lays on the ground, extending off the right side of the art. All the branches and foliage once growing from the tree which has now fallen is now starting to grow from the ground itself, overcoming the fallen tree. This extends downward toward the water, and branches dip into the edge of the calm river.

Name:	birchforest-wip10.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	447.7 KB 
ID:	82523

Whooo... so much work around here !
    I really don't know how you did the ground but those " twigs, sticks and branches" are just working so well....

Congratulations
    kaiko

thanks so much! I had to put this project on hold to get some commissions out of the way. But I do plan to keep going on it. It's one of those kinds of inbetweener projects. In between bigger projects.

Here's where I left off, where I had started work on the water and did a lot of work on the trees.

Name:	birchforest-wip16.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	440.3 KB 
ID:	82953