ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pencil tilt

Pencil tilt

Hmm, I can't seem to get it to work. 4.5 OSX version, IMac, Intuos5.

Try resetting the pencil tool, older presets may not have tilt assigned to the tilt property.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

It works now, I'm not sure what I did, but doesn't matter. Very nice, my new favorite digital sketching tool .

Have a look at the Wacom settings...

Have a look at the Wacom settings...it can bring some extra tilt by adjusting the "Tilt Sensitivity".

Tried all that and it still doesn't work. (Intuos4)

At last the pencil has active tilt, something I had been looking forward to!
    I am however curious about it's implementation.
    In the attached shot of two strokes the "Pencil" was held in the right hand at, more or less, the same 45 degree angle.
    The line on the left was as I expected going up but coming down it is as if I had swapped hands.
    A real world pencil would not behave this way, I would get the same line coming down as I did going up.
    When using a graphics tablet with tilt sensitivity surely the side of a pencil line that feathers out should only be determined from the pen's relative angle to the tablet, not the direction it may be going in.
    Name:  PencilTilt&Direction3.png
Views: 141
Size:  363.3 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    Tried all that and it still doesn't work. (Intuos4)
    Go to ArtRage and select the pencil, then open the settings panel and click on the Preset area at the top. In the menu that appears select Set Stylus Properties and make sure that the Tilt Angle property of the stylus has Tilt Angle assigned to it for the tool.

Make sure the pencil isn't in Precise mode, that doesn't do tilt, then try again. If that fails, see if you get tilt when using the Airbrush and let me know.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    At last the pencil has active tilt, something I had been looking forward to!
    I am however curious about it's implementation.
    In the attached shot of two strokes the "Pencil" was held in the right hand at, more or less, the same 45 degree angle.
    The line on the left was as I expected going up but coming down it is as if I had swapped hands.
    A real world pencil would not behave this way, I would get the same line coming down as I did going up.
    When using a graphics tablet with tilt sensitivity surely the side of a pencil line that feathers out should only be determined from the pen's relative angle to the tablet, not the direction it may be going in.
    Name:  PencilTilt&Direction3.png
Views: 141
Size:  363.3 KB
    We're not seeing this behaviour when we try it here, the 'sharp' edge remains on the same side regardless of stroke direction as expected.

Could you let us know your pencil settings and what you have assigned to stylus properties and we'll see if we can replicate the problem you're seeing. If the stylus is being kept at the same angle (rotational angle as well as tilt angle) then it should be the same regardless of stroke direction.

Edit: One other thought to check: Are you definitely using a stylus that supports tilt? If you up the Tilt value in the pencil's settings and use a device that doesn't support tilt (or don't have 'Tilt Angle' assigned to the tilt property in the stylus settings) then you would see that behaviour because rather than live tilt you're seeing an absolute value which follows the path around.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you! Works fine.

Thanks for the reply Matt.
    Here are screenshots of the default pencil settings and my current tablet settings.
    See my signature bellow for my OS & hardware in case that's a factor in this.
    I would note also that when using the airbrush, tilt response is exactly as one would expect so this would seem to be a localised failing of tilt response for me rather the a global one.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 09.36.31.png
Views: 124
Size:  26.6 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 09.36.44.png
Views: 127
Size:  34.9 KBName:  TabletSettings2.png
Views: 122
Size:  119.7 KB
    Last edited by markw; 08-12-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)