ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: File Corruption Message Comes Up When Attempting to Download Art Rage 4.0.6

File Corruption Message Comes Up When Attempting to Download Art Rage 4.0.6

Just purchased the upgrade to Art Rage 4.0.6 and have attempted unsuccessfully to install on a computer. The computer is quite old, a Compaq HP, with Pentium 4 processor, and the operating system is Windows XP Professional with SP 3.

I have never had any problems downloading software to this computer, outside of open source software have not installed much newer stuff, since software from a generation of a decade ago works best with this operating system. I have Art Rage 1 and 2.5 on this computer and they never cause any problems.

When I attempt to download the software of Art Rage 4.0.6 onto this computer I get a start up with a large rectangular shape that has the Art Rage 4 trademark on it and you see this small long bar that has a green light moving left to right as if this is the application data being installed in folders onto the computer. After one entire run with the green lighting it goes into these short bursts of two or three small bars and suddenly halts. At this point a message appears on the screen in dialogue format that reads:
    "A File that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Digital Art\Application Data\Ambient Design\ArtRage 4 4.0.6.0\install\disk1.cab has an invalid signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt."

After clicking okay on this dialogue box, the program starts to reverse the installation process going backwards and then a message about installing at a later time appears.

Anyone have some explanation as to what this problem might be and how to correct it? I realize that my computer is obsolete and most software you can buy in retail stores today will no longer be available for a Windows XP operating system, although there still are a few in the areas of entertainment software, and less popular software programs. From what I understand Art Rage 4.0.6 is the last version you might use with Windows XP, primarily the reason I bought this before it became unavailable, as things change and newer software updates become available replacing the old.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

This usually indicates either a corrupted download or a problem with your computer. There are a few different things we can suggest, but the soultion that seems to work most frequently is downloading it on another computer and copying it to a USB then installing it from there.

If this isn't an option, or doesn't work, or you would like more assistance, drop us an email at support@artrage.com and we'll do our best to help you.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

This Procedure Did Work.

I have tried as you suggested copying a downloaded program to another computer and that did work.

Funny thing about this is that both computers have Windows XP Professional on them and both are older 32 bit processors.
    One worked and the other did not. Neither computer is connected to an internet, I do not have internet at home and use a library for that. I do not have much in the lines of resources to spend on upgrading computers and expensive software. Use one computer primarily for back up and the other for working with programs.

I have this program on both computers now yet your license agreement says you may only use this program on one computer.
    As a result, I have decided to buy a second copy of this program to install on the first computer with a different product code key making all things according to the license agreement. I will get your update when it is available to 4.5 and save that version for the future in the event I buy a new computer with a later Windows 7, 8, or whatever may come next depending on that future time.

Looking over this program I really like this one, compared to 2.5 this one is an excellent improvement, and I do occasionally use my backup computer for artwork.

You may wonder why I have a couple of older computers, well I have picked up good deals on used refurbished stuff that has allowed me to continue using older software that works well since older software does not work on newer machines with everything changing over the past decade. Hopefully in the future I will again be able to afford upgrading all software and hardware along with internet at home again. For now making the best with what I can afford spending only a few hundred dollars as opposed to a couple thousand to upgrade all software and hardware.
    Last edited by Stephen Lo Piano; 08-07-2014 at 08:42 AM.

There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lo Piano View Post
    I have tried as you suggested copying a downloaded program to another computer and that did work.
    Oh good! I'm glad to hear that.

Funny thing about this is that both computers have Windows XP Professional on them and both are older 32 bit processors.
    One worked and the other did not. Neither computer is connected to an internet
    Ah, yes. That will be part of the problem; there a quite few little background things that get updated fairly regularly (like security certificates), and not only does it require you to go online occasionally, but XP itself is becoming outdated.

I have this program on both computers now yet your license agreement says you may only use this program on one computer.
    As a result, I have decided to buy a second copy of this program to install on the first computer with a different product code key making all things according to the license agreement. I will get your update when it is available to 4.5 and save that version for the future in the event I buy a new computer with a later Windows 7, 8, or whatever may come next depending on that future time.
    Ah, that's not quite the case. We do actually allow people to install ArtRage on an additional computer for their own use; your situation is a perfect example of why we allow that.

4.5 will always be available to download for anyone who owns 4, so as long as you register your serial number in the member area, you will be able to get it later. It will probably have had a number of additional updates by the time you come around to installing it!

Looking over this program I really like this one, compared to 2.5 this one is an excellent improvement, and I do occasionally use my backup computer for artwork.
    Delighted to hear it! I hope that means the extra purchase was worth it
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

There are a couple of other things we can add to this that may help.

The core of the problem is that your Windows installation is unable to contact the certificate provider that can verify the installer's security certificate. This can happen for a number of reasons and it can be really hard to track down the cause. There are two things that you can look at easily however that may help:

First: Make sure your XP machine is connected to the internet. Windows requires that secure installers be verified before installation, which in turn requires that the OS is able to talk to the certificate provider to double check the certificate in the installer file. If your XP machine is unable to connect to the internet, or unable to contact the certificate provider, Windows will generate the error you see.

Second: OK, that was the easy one... This one is slightly more problematic but can help in some situations: You have to tell Windows not to bother checking the certificate... To do this you need to:

1. Locate the Internet Options panel which is either in your Control Panel or accessible from Internet Explorer.
    2. In that panel select the Advanced tab and scroll down the list of advanced options until you find the Security section.
    3. Look for an item called (or similar to) 'Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid'. Turn that ON.
    4. Okay the panel.

What this does is tell Windows that the certificate of an application doesn't need to be checked before installation. This can fix the problem you see, but in some cases Windows ignores that option and checks anyway, which is kind of confusing and nobody really seems to know why.

Important: Turning off that option reduces your computer security - If it works for installing ArtRage you may want to turn it back on afterwards.

Third: There is another option that involves manually installing a verification certificate to allow Windows to verify the file offline, but that's complex and we generally try and provide help with that via email.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Will Try Your Second Option

I will try the second option since the first is impossible since my computer does not have any internet connection. Times are money scarce and budgeting right now does not allow internet at home, use computers for artwork only and programs I bought 8 to 10 years ago, anyway the operating system is obsolete for the internet and would need a new computer and more recent version of Windows for internet use. I currently access the internet through a public library, have no internet at home since 2007.

I would like to make one more comment on this Art Rage 4.0.6 version. I was most happy to discover that the KPT Collection something I bought from Corel years ago works as a filter plug-in with Art Rage 4.0.6. In fact I am seeing features that never appeared with this plug in to Corel Painter, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, Ulead Photo Impact, or Corel Draw/Corel Photo Paint (all older versions of this software from the XP operating system generation).
    If I recall from past messages and replies posted here some of you people at Art Rage were involved with KAI and the creation of some KPT filters?

Really good idea to make this plug in accessible with full use through the Art Rage program. Have experimented with several of the filters and so far they seem to work very well with Art Rage 4.0.6 on a Windows XP Professional Operating System.