Thread: Brushtip cutting and tapping...

Gallery
    View images

Brushtip cutting and tapping...

It would be fantastic, if there was a tap mode with the paint brush, which would allow to simulate the tapping of the brush tip. That may suggest some more things like cutting the brushtip, for example, or different brushtypes.

I know, it's a lot to ask, but - don't laugh - I recently saw Bob Ross for the first time. For those of you, who have not heard of him, he used to have a popular TV show on US television, teaching how to paint. It's amazing stuff, just go to youtube.com and search for Bob Ross. However, it's too brilliant to follow along his teachings, but one of the fantastic things/effects he does is tapping the brushtip for certain patterns.

Now, it's somewhat possible to replicate those effects, using the charcol and crayons, but it's just not the same, of course. I could really imagine, that you are able to come up with a solution for this, judging by your amazing skill of having translated all the existing tools so far!

...it's just an idea!

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Taron - you can 'stipple' with the brush.
    It doesn't work so well with a tablet because you end up moving a few pixels every time you tap the brush. But with a mouse you can get great stippling with the oil brush.

See the attached image.
    If you take the loading of the oil brush down very low, and the thinners up a bit (feel free to experiment with both of those!) you can use the mouse to dab the brush.

It's possible to do with a tablet as well, but requires very steady hands.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Taron,

Welcome!

Also, welcome to the Bob Ross ArtRage fan club! :lol:

In the Art Supplies section there are a couple of "BR" canvases, Liquid White and Liquid Black. These have vital differences to the default versions. Thinner paint!

Keep on asking for different brushes. It is the only thing that ArtRage lacks. There are ways round it, but as you say they are not realistic.

You'll find the Palette Knife is a bit limited too, little rolls of paint just can't be done. Use the Tube. Use an empty Brush for smooshing as well.

The paint consistency is too soft, but you can cope with it.

Meanwhile, import a BR black canvas, keeping it as a .PNG is crucial, use the Tube to apply some paint and start smooshing.

Phil.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Well first of all: WOW, YEAH, how on earth did I not notice that tapping kind of works! It's great! Thanx! Haha... man, and I just charcoled some trees in my WIP thread I've just started.... :P

Very cool! Thank you very much Andy!

Aged P,

HAHAHAHAHAHA....man, I should've guessed that! It just makes way too much sense! Ok, I shall keep nagging about brushes, then, hahaha! I mean, really, if AR wasn't already as brilliantly convincing, we wouldn't be itching for more, right!? Great, great, great...haha, I'm really having fun with all of you, it's such a darn pleasure... shoot... (quoting Bob). :lol:

Thanx guys!

Gallery
    View images
    The front of this was done using Andy's method.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums..._ross2_564.jpg

But! The genuine BR brushes that are rotting away in my garage, thanks to Artrage :lol: , had other qualities.

They held a mix of paints and the dabbing effect was different.

They gave a varied stipple with a single dab. You had to hold them at an angle then roll the brush head downwards so it leaves different sized blobs
    It isn't as easy to do as it sounds on the TV programs.

Another group on the foium wants Air Brushes which have a splatter effect, I think that may suit BR too eventually.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    (and in the distance, if you listen very carefully, you can hear Andy beating his head on the desk)
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    HHHAAA HA HAHAAHA, Andy, haha.... oh, man! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You just know you've asked for it, don't you?!

Anyway, talking about airbrush (and what ever else would benefit from that): MASKING

I'm sure this is one of the most common requests, but, man, you've got a gorgeous airbrush in there, but no masks. I mean, I've made a test were I've used a different layer and then simply erased what I didn't want, but it's not exactly convenient....

Well, if you check out my WIP, you can see that I became very ecstatic with the stippling you've taught me above!

I believe for a moment I will be busy enough with learning more about the tools as they are right now!

But, honestly, sir, I'm beginning to fall in love with AR2 almost too much!

Gallery
    View images
    (and in the distance, if you listen very carefully, you can hear Andy beating his head on the desk)
    sure, how hard can it beat ?

:twisted:
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK