ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Custom Startup Canvas Size Script - Belvrog

Custom Startup Canvas Size Script - Belvrog

Hello, Artrage normally starts with your computers currently set resolution. This script makes Artrage launch with a custom set resolution. It has the advantage over predefined emtpy paintings that it generates a new painting and you won't overwrite it accidently.

Installation:

1. Download the attached file.

2. Edit the two variables

canvasWidth = 1200
    canvasHeight = 1920

in line 45 and 46 to the resolution you want (in pixels).
    Place this file on the desktop for convenience and use it instead of the normal file-shortcut to launch Artrage.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's really handy, thanks. The only thing I don't like about AR is the fact that it defaults to my screen resolution, this should remedy that.
    Last edited by Gms9810; 08-05-2014 at 04:15 AM.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

I modified it to use the size and resolution that I need, I don't know much about scripting, is there a way to set the canvas type I want built into the script?

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    I modified it to use the size and resolution that I need, I don't know much about scripting, is there a way to set the canvas type I want built into the script?
    You would probably need to include the binary data of the image used for the canvas grain, so you'd have to record a script of your own for that purpose. It's actually pretty easy and won't require scripting by hand. Just do the following:

1 - Open ArtRage

2 - Go to File → Record Script and select "Record" on the Record Script prompt window (ignore the other options).

Once you've started, you'll see the "Recorder" panel appear. Just move it aside while you complete the rest of the steps, because you'll need it to stop the recording at the end.

3 - Go to Edit → Crop/Expand Canvas and rescale the canvas to the size you'd like.

4 - Go to View → Canvas Settings and set the Grain texture, color, and any other settings you'd like to use for your canvas.
    5 - Now go back to the Recorder panel you moved aside in step 2 and click on the Stop button (the one with the icon on it), to bring up the Save Script prompt panel. Enter whatever information you'd like for Script name, Author, and Description and choose a Preview image if you'd like and then click "OK" to save the script.

Since you'll be using this script as a means to create a "Default" canvas setup, I recommend saving the script to your desktop. Since double clicking on a .arscript file automatically opens ArtRage and initiates its playback, having it on your desktop would allow you to use it as your ArtRage shortcut.

You should then be able to use the script.

Though I wonder if it wouldn't be simpler to save the PTG painting itself and use that as your shortcut? I currently do this now, which allows me to save the Canvas properties (color, texture, size, etc), toolbox contents and color samples. I just set everything up the way I wanted it, saved using File → Save Painting As and now use the saved .ptg as my means of opening ArtRage. I need only to remember not to overwrite the file when saving any painting I create with it.

EDIT - Just for additional clarity, here's what I mean about the ptg file, in the form of a video: Watch on YouTube

Last edited by Someonesane; 08-01-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi Gms, glad to hear you found it useful. Thanks for letting me know. You can even have multiple Starting Scripts with different resolutions that way.

To make that clear, this script is meant as a customized quick start and currently it brings up a painting where all parameters are standard Artrage settings, but with the single difference of a custom resolution.

Canvas settings can always be changed on the fly (Ctrl+Shift+C on Windows) in Artrage while your are working on a painting ( ...and there are also advantages of change them while painting to influence the color application of the tools. Old strokes keep their appearance when you change it but new ones reflect the change.)

The answer to your question is yes it's possible to implement a different canvas grain in this script, but as it's stored in an undocumented proprietary binary format, you currently need to copy that information from a recorded script or use that script you've recorded as described above.

For you or anyone who's interested in that for customizing this or other scripts. The block that sets a canvas grain always starts like that

"Wait: 0.000s EvType: Command CommandID: PaperChange"
    and ends with
    "} // End of paper texture image binary data."

Just look at a recorded script that changes canvas settings.

Replace the PaperChange line from this script with that block and you're done.
    Or use a new recorded script as decribed above.

If you'd like to have Artrage startup with a new default canvasgrain one of these ways would currently be the way I'd propose, as I'd always propose to put some more work into a robust setup than taking preventive measures every time after that. But the more custom settings you would like to have implemented on startup, like always the same startup color samples or a filled toolbox you might decide to use predefined paintings instead, they are easy to set up. Personally I load my predefined toolboxes and colorsamples on demand. But that's a question of personal taste.

I'll have a look at this thread, just ask if you need some more help.

For years I also used 2 simple templates I made in ArtRage as ptg files, one portrait, one landscape. This was mainly for ArtRage 1.1., in the early days, made life a whole lot easier. I saved them with the size in the file name so they were easy to reference:

Name:  AR-CanvasTemplates.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  52.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    For years I also used 2 simple templates I made in ArtRage as ptg files, one portrait, one landscape. This was mainly for ArtRage 1.1., in the early days, made life a whole lot easier. I saved them with the size in the file name so they were easy to reference:

Name:  AR-CanvasTemplates.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  52.8 KB
    In drafting they would call those 'prototype drawings', I just call them templates. I use them too because I'm too lazy to set up new drawings every time. I tried several sizes but settled on two sizes. One 8 inch by 10 inch @ 600 ppi, because that's a good size for framing, and another one 18 inch by 24 inch @ 300 ppi for detailed drawing then I resize them to what I need. They're big files and require a lot of resources, which I have. Just for doodling I use 3000 x 3000 @ 300 ppi. I have portrait and landscape versions of the first two.

A suggestion for ArtRage to open without a default canvas that leaves the user to choose a canvas size of choice.