ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: is this a scam?

is this a scam?

I just bought a new wacom tablet and the artrage software came with it. I was pretty happy about that. However, I experienced significant lag of about 10 seconds on every single brushstroke and I found this absolutely unacceptable. After some research I learned it was due to having Mavericks OSX 10.9.4. So the site suggested I download the latest version of artrage to fix the lag issue. Sweet! I go to download latest version and it is trying to charge me??! what kind of scam is this?

I am really kind of frustrated and disappointed with the whole software so far. The cumbersome registration, the lag, the blatant money grubbing...it was supposed to be a nice free download with my wacom tablet purchase, and it is giving me so much grief. ugh.

The version that you got from Wacom is probably slightly earlier than the current version of your product. We have contacted them about this to try and get their installers updated so that users don't need to download a new installer from us.

The updated version of ArtRage Studio is 3.5.11, this is available free of charge from your Member Account - When you registered you would have seen two buttons by your product, an Upgrade button which takes you to the store if you want to upgrade (this is entirely optional), and a 'Download' button that lets you Download the latest version of your product free of charge whenever you need it. Use the Download Button and download 3.5.11 for OS X and that should solve the problem.

Information on how to download the free update is also available in the FAQ entry on this topic: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45643

Not quite sure how you'd think it was a scam, hope that information explains it for you.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
    Sweet! I go to download latest version and it is trying to charge me??! what kind of scam is this?

[...] The cumbersome registration...

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    When you registered you would have seen two buttons by your product, an Upgrade button which takes you to the store if you want to upgrade (this is entirely optional), and a 'Download' button that lets you Download the latest version of your product free of charge whenever you need it. .
    I just wanted to clarify that there are actually two different places to register, as it sounds like you might have overlooked our members area (which is what Matt is talking about).

Wacom requires a registration before it will send you the serial number. It does this for all its software downloads, not just ArtRage, and we have no control over this process.

We require registration to access the downloads. Normally, using an older version of ArtRage wouldn't be a problem, but the Mavericks update meant that the older versions no longer work properly (as you found). Hence, everyone now needs to make sure that they download the most recent version from us, which includes a specific patch for Mavericks. You need to know your serial number to access the downloads (or upgrade options), but you can sign up whenever you like, without even purchasing ArtRage (though there wouldn't be much point!).

ArtRage is not free (though we have a demo version), we have an arrangement with Wacom where it is included in your tablet purchase (usually as part of several software options).

We also sell ArtRage as included software with other devices, and directly from our website. If you try to download ArtRage from the online store, then it will assume that you are trying to buy a new copy.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!