ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: English as a foreign language.

English as a foreign language.

I can't remember if I have asked for this before ... but ...

We have as foreign language options, French, Spanish etc .... is it possible that we can have, say, New Zealand English, also, as a foreign language option?

I appreciate that the default flavour of English must be for our friends in the United States because that is the way the world is ...

Would this be a significant workload? Could it be shared out? Is anyone, other than me, bothered by the spellings?

I know that it is a small matter, but ...

I know what you mean!
    Strangely it dose seem to be that all software uses American English.
    Even software developed by British companies use it. Somehow it's just become the default version of English for programs.
    It would be interesting to hear from a non American programmer as to why this should be.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

I think that we have to accept that the US is the largest single market. That is why Artrage's default needs to be American English. It would, however, be good to have New Zealand English as a foreign language option.

I think that the Artrage team use New Zealand English on the forums.

The choice is American English or UK English. Here in Australia we tend to use UK English although we're being more Americanised all the time ("Americanized" in the U.S.).

I think NZ is the same - UK English.

Some programs do have the choice of these two.

I have been tempted to do a UK English variant but I'm always put off by the amount of effort it takes to maintain any additional language files.

As a side note - This is also why we don't often add new languages to the product. We get plenty of offers to translate in to different languages, and we'd love to do it, but we have to recognise (no 'z'!) that when you add a language once you generally need to keep supporting it in the future, and localisation (there I go again) is one of the most time consuming processes at the end of development. As a result, offers to translate in to languages like Polish have had to be turned down for now. That may change in the future, we've been pondering an approach to it for some time. If it does change then a UK English variant could well happen.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    The choice is American English or UK English. Here in Australia we tend to use UK English although we're being more Americanised all the time ("Americanized" in the U.S.).

I think NZ is the same - UK English.

Some programs do have the choice of these two.
    Hildee, thank you for answering. I just think that it has to be American English as the default. I want Artrage to succeed - I'm a fan - and we just have to accept the dominance of the US.

I think that the numbers of speakers of each flavour is similar, the difference being that US English is in one (rich) country and the English/English version is scattered around the old Empire.

Like Australia the UK has American influence but cultural roots remain remarkable enduring.

Thank you Matt, and, yes, I did notice your use of a style of English more familiar to me. In fact I've noticed it throughout the forums by the Ragers. Smiles.

Your approach is thoughtful and I hadn't realised the support issues. I notice that quite a number of your users are British English users.

I am a fan of Artrage and if it is possible to include New Zealand English as an option I think it would help make it even better.

Again, thank you

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
    Hildee, thank you for answering. I just think that it has to be American English as the default. I want Artrage to succeed - I'm a fan - and we just have to accept the dominance of the US.
    Hi Pat, US English in a program like ArtRage doesn't bother me. I mean it is just for painting :-D It would be a little different if a program like say, Word, didn't have UK English set up.

Also, is there such a thing as NZ English? Your accent is different but I haven't noticed different spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    Hi Pat, US English in a program like ArtRage doesn't bother me. I mean it is just for painting :-D It would be a little different if a program like say, Word, didn't have UK English set up.

Also, is there such a thing as NZ English? Your accent is different but I haven't noticed different spelling.
    Hildee, thank you for your thoughts.

I posted the question with a little trepidation because it did seem such a minor thing. Only a few spellings! For some strange reason the US spellings catch my eye and jar. It is a small matter, but it seemed to me something that would make Artrage even better. I'm a fan.

The reason I suggested NZ English is that is where Artrage comes from. I'm English.

Everyone is in Glasgow at the moment and the Australians are dominating the pool - again! I expect the All-Blacks will do the same in rugby.