ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: birds of a feather

birds of a feather

I finished this at 4:00 this morning. I've been trying different ways to do feathers without being too realistic and too impressionistic.

Name:  eagles.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  173.9 KB

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Looks cool. Good experiments. For what it's worth, if you're creating a painting in which it's supposed to look like real stuff in real space, creating a sense of volume (IMHO) works better. But if you're going for a graphic, flatter look where pattern and design are perhaps more experimental, defined by a telling shape where you can go happy with the shapes, it plays well when less about the spacial effect and more about the break up of the space and color/pattern relations for the abstract compositional effect.

This one feels like it's about real birds in real space and as such creating dimension primarily is probably going to work well.

Strict impressionists are out to capture fleeting light in a somewhat spatially accurate way but their marks tend to be looser because they're hasty. And they use various devices with color and marks to achieve this end. When it's all working properly it can be breathtaking. But the same is true with most paintings done well.

Nice job!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

That's my biggest dilemma. What really really impresses me is the classic realists, but I'm just not good enough for that. This guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxYo5TmyO8 just amazes me, but I just don't have the talent for it. Because of that, I think, is why I can rarely please myself with what I draw. I might be that good IF I had the time to do it but I don't.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

very nice work! speacil and some fell of decorative painting. hope you painting again in this way.

... They're patiently waiting for the outcome of Your challenge, I guess ... LOL Some feathers seem to bloom. Anyway there must be at least a tutorial thereabout in the proper section in case. Nice painting anyway.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Here's an idea if you are interested in trying to learn to render - find yourself a segment of a picture with something you might want to learn to do -- like a violin (since that was in your linked video).

If you're doing this in the real world, you can find a magazine pic with a really good simple image and cut a window in a piece of paper and lay it over so you see only a portion, so all the other stuff in the picture isn't distracting or overwhelming you.

Here's a really good example incorporating wood texture, curves, surfaces in a relatively simple composition. It's perhaps not as easy as it looks. And if this doesn't do it for you, try it with something else. But get as clear a picture as you can find so that you can see exactly what you're painting/drawing. Again, it's got little to do with talent and more to do with interest and giving yourself as long as it takes.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1224/9...0b63bf0fdb.jpg

The challenge here would be to not have the wood look like corduroy fabric. And you can go onto Google images and find anything you want to depict and practice on.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You are getting so good in your recent paintings that I have viewed them. Go ! go ! go !

Wonder what they are lloking at, they are great and well painted
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307