ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: "import image file to layer" menu & size issue

"import image file to layer" menu & size issue

Could I suggest the AR gang make the "Import Image File to Layer", at this point only in the File menu, an option in the layer panel right click menu? That would make it more intuitive.

Also, when I use this option, my imported photo (2048x1536) crops to the size of the photo layer I'm putting it behind, which is 1025x728. I've had to resize the imported photo in Windows Explorer to fit. This is real cumbersome and I've never known another program where size has to be accommodated like this.

Thanks for listening.

I often use the Windows Snipping Tool to put in an image. Blow your ref photo up a bit, snip, copy and paste onto your canvas.

Works well, and you can enlarge/transform it to the size you want.

Thanks Robyn for the tip I've tried Import Image File too in order to copy & paste (like Pshop) but that just closes the one I'm working on, so I'll give this a go.

Edit: It worked a treat! I used Windows Explorer right click Preview to grab one of my photos.

I really hope this is fixed because it's very unusual for a program not to allow adding a second image to the workspace.
    Last edited by hildee; 07-02-2014 at 03:06 PM.

No such luck sorry, the image is still cropped as a layer and loses a lot of the photo, and can only be sized up. If down, it's too small

Ok, I have sussed this out. If, when I paste the photo, I resize it then and there it's ok. But if I move it to a different spot in the layer manager, say below my cut out horse as I'm doing now to provide a background, the pasted photo crops.

So the trick is to resize first. From then on it can't be resized if moved. A right pain unless I'm missing something.

No, you use the Start Menu/ Windows Accessories /Snipping Tool to select your ref photo you have already imported next to your empty canvas. The screen will white out and you drag select around the image. On the Snipping Tool task bar ..... Edit/ Copy, and then Art Rage/ 'paste' onto your canvas.

I did use the Snipping Tool as you suggested (have used it before), that's what I mean by great tip - but in my case I don't have an empty canvas and I'm not working from ref, I'm working with photos - a cut out horse and the background I've copied and pasted and wanted to size to fit. Whatever is copied - ref image, preview in Windows Explorer, whatever - it still ends up in the Snipping Tool window and is copied and pasted from there.

All seems to be working fine. Thanks again for your help, in my case it worked for what I needed to do

I have just discovered the easiest way is to drag a file from Windows Explorer into ArtRage and a number of options pop up, one being "Import to Layer".

You can also drag images from your Pictures library and get the same menu choices.

Edit: That's probably the same.
    Last edited by Enug; 07-06-2014 at 04:35 PM.