ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Achieving finer detail

Achieving finer detail

Hello all I have been using the legendary artrage for sometime now, and gradually through the process trail and error-have found the areas
    where I consider myself to be strong and the areas where clearly there are glaring holes in knowledge. My query is this; what tools/techniques are tried and
    tested to achieve finer detail- the the structure of buildings, the delicate balance of water and light the, harsh amalgam of materials that do not go. Attached are 3 examples of my work, any feedback would be extremely welcome
    thanks
    Kumaran
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morphogenesis.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	81665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the lost kingdomtown.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	81662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luminflowe.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	81664  

Try pallet knife?

I love the blending of architectural and organic forms. Reminds me of H. R. Giger but not so creepy. More a reflection of the vicissitudes of the subconscious mind at work with all of the images thrown at it in reality. I am looking in these for less finger paint style and more edges/textures, which could add edginess (pun intended) but compromise the ethereal feel.

Hi, I'm brand new to ArtRage, so I'm no help at all but I have to say how much I like your work: as Marianwhit said, the fusion of organic and architectural is beautifully eerie, like Giger without the creep. It visually conveys the unsettling ambiguity of some dreams: it's this and it's that at the same time, and neither, but when you look closely it's nothing.
    The middle one especially gets me. Giger does Guernica. It would be horrifying then you notice those two tiny figures who are whimsical and charming. And the nightmare becomes an exciting game of exploration.
    Wonderful work!

I love your work.

While I'm not an expert, I can say that one of the simplest ways to get finer detail is to increase the canvas pixels per inch and zoom in to work on the areas where you particularly want fine detail. 300ppi really helps. The trade-off is slowing down the program, though 4.5 with 64 bits has helped with that a lot.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

For getting more pixels to work with, I too increase the resolution, but I do this after making sure I've blocked everything in, and then again after I've done a bit of form building, and then push my textures and lighting after, and close up with tight details of the most important elements.

As for the actual details themselves, the short answer is study. The longer answer is to ask questions, why is the building there, what kind of building is it, does it need electricity, how is that electricity harvested, so on and so on, the more questions you ask and answers you provide visually the more details you end up with. Questions are the key, in my opinion. It builds on itself, the more questions you ask and answer the more you will be able to create more quickly. Do studies when you can of stuff you can see, and ask questions about why the subject you are studying is built as it is, actually draw or paint it as you ask these questions and learn the answers, it will help you learn this stuff much faster.

There are techniques for faking finer detail in digital, many of them, most of them involve just dropping photos in setting them to overlay or softlight and erasing out what you don't want and then painting over some of it. Tons of little tricks like that, but I don't really suggest doing that if you are trying to learn how to put in details, because it's not answering your questions for you and makes a lot of other problems that require tons of work to resolve (issues with perspective, lighting, values, color harmony, level of detail, edge quality, rhythm, unity, balance, and so on).

For some good reading on creating good illustrations (and paintings, advertisements, stories, concepts, etc) try reading Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis. It's an old book and available in .pdf form if you just google the name of the book it should pop up for free download. The book answered more questions for me than any other single book I have ever read (and sometimes several other books put together), and I have read it several times now and learned more amazing things with each read.

Good luck and enjoy the learning process, it's probably my favorite part of being an artist.

Edit: Also, I don't think your work is lacking in details so much as many other things like lighting, aerial perspective, composition, eye flow, and other things like that. All of which are covered in Loomis's book, which is why I suggest it. The opening chat in that book is by far one of the most inspirational things I've ever had the pleasure of reading, never ceases to make me smile.
    Last edited by Delofasht; 05-01-2015 at 05:05 PM.

6. Interesting work

You seem to manage pretty well ArtRage and You also show an artistic compositional sensitivity. Welcome and best wishes!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

You might want to experiment with individual layers for each part of your painting. You can play with detail and when you are satisfied with each layer, you can blend them together at some point. My best advice is to experiment, experiment, experiment. Art Rage is all about playing with all the tools. You just may run across a technique that you discover that is unique to you. Do what works for you.