Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frank Frazetta's 'The Death Dealer'

Brilliant study! You really did look very carefully at Frazetta's illustration. I agree, it's one of my favorites of his as well. This must have taken you some time changing the settings of the brushes for the various types of strokes. Frazetta is pretty calligraphic in his painting strokes which comes from his having done comic strips for some time before he broke away to become the premier fantasy illustrator of Conan covers and all the other genre books and magazines he did.

This is really quite well done. Bravo!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you all. It's nice to hear such responses. You have a really nice positive forum here

@ SCP
    I have to admit it's the original stuff I struggle with. I can quite happily have a go at copying something but tell me to come up with something and I kind of crumble. Hopefully my time here will help with that and spur me on. I've noticed the Monsters' Corner thread, so I think I'll have a go at something for that.

@ D Akey
    Yep, it took me some time. I worked on it on and off over two weeks and had a reference image up on screen alongside a physical print from an issue of ImagineFX. The colour differences between the two are crazy. It didn't help that app crashed during saving and wiped the file clean
    I spent a lot of time fiddling with setting in the brushes and still don't quite know what's best to be honest. I'm finding it particularly hard to get a dry rough brush stroke with some length to it with the oil brushes.

Hi Bertrude and welcome to the AR forums
    That's a cracking first post!
    Like you said in your last post, long dry strokes can be tricky.
    In AR you can change the canvas texture of each layer, which when combined with the brush settings, can effect the look of the paint stroke.
    The attached is not meant to be a definitive answer but more a starting point perhaps to explore from.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 23.32.31.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	81613
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Remarkable!

A testament to your skill and ArtRage as a tool.

Definitely,...very good!! This is among my top favorites of him. What else to say than you did that really really really good.... ok... love it!

Thank you, and cheers for the info about dry brush strokes Mark. That'll be going in a preset

Great first posting, and great job on this fantastic tribute to Frazetta's painting.....definitely my favorite as well, although his
    warrior girls, princesses and just plain ass kickin woman artwork are quite eyecatching too....
    Take care,
    Steve

Frank Frazetta is one of the reasons why I became a reader of Robert E Howard's works like Conan the Barbarian...as well as Barry Windsor-Smith. These two are the best Conan artists ever....

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi Bertrude and welcome to the AR forums
    That's a cracking first post!
    Like you said in your last post, long dry strokes can be tricky.
    In AR you can change the canvas texture of each layer, which when combined with the brush settings, can effect the look of the paint stroke.
    The attached is not meant to be a definitive answer but more a starting point perhaps to explore from.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 23.32.31.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	81613
    Really neat samples to bring forward. Thanks for that.

Still loving the Frazetta copy painting. These marks look like they would work very well.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream