ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Beginner!

Absolute Beginner!

Hi all, I decided to take up watercolour in January this year - so my New Year's Resolution wasn't to 'give up' something but to 'start up' something. I'm really not very good but I'm really enjoying it. Now here's the thing, I'm really interested in getting into some digital painting and I'm seriously considering buying ArtRange but really don't know where to start.

Has anyone got any hints or tips? Should I invest or should I stick with my watercolour tubes etc? Would using ArtRage help me to learn more about using paints?

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum and Artrage hope you enjoy it like many of us do!!
    Here a link to get ye started
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...azU9BL1swaCUBa

ArtRage is probably going to be the easiest, quality, art program you'll ever find and I'm not just saying that because I'm an ArtRage fan. The Ambient Design team just went out of their way to ensure that pretty much anyone can open the program and get to work.

As for whether you switch to digital, I think why you're thinking of switching over is important. While some programs, like ArtRage, do a good job of mimicking some true mediums, they're still only imitating the real thing. As such, you're never really going to learn how to use a specific traditional media, from using a program. There's nuances (whether the tool is traditional or digital) that simply must be experienced first hand. For example, since you're interested in watercolors, there's things like gravity, paper absorption, dry time, chemical/texture effects to consider. Using the real media, gravity would pull the water and paint down and different papers would absorb that moisture at different rates. If you're working outside, the paint may dry quicker under the sun, and slower on overcast, muggy days. You could decide to sprinkle salt onto the image, to separate the paint dispersal for textures. These are things that ArtRage doesn't really account for. It mimics some of it, like the textures, but it's a far more controlled process. In short... The results can be similar to each other, but the means of attaining those results differ in many ways.

That being said, I don't see any reason not to take up digital art, as it's just another method of creating art. Seeing as ArtRage 4 is currently on a 50% off sale (making it only around $24), I'd say it would be a pretty good time to jump on board.

Has anyone got any hints or tips?
    There's a few videos on YouTube that may help you out. I made one about how I made my watercolor skull image which you can view here
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

This is a great first step to learning about Artrage. You'll find a wide range of people here who use the tools in such unique and wonderful ways. Not to mention the Rage-ites who run the site... they are the best folks out there and always quick to help/respond.

Artrage will give you a wider range of tools to try out. It is about as close to the real-time tools as you can possibly get in digital format. It has taught me techniques that I could apply to real-time tools and definitely has assisted me in learning color and detail. The same could be said of the real-time tools teaching me techniques and ideas to apply to digital. It is also a great tool for practicing before you lay out something real-time which could possibly help you save supplies and money.)

I'm not well versed in the way of water-color, so I'm not sure if the tool applies as well as the other tool. I'm sure someone else might have a better opinion for it. I would say, that if you're interested in learning the details of real water color. I wouldn't give up practicing the real thing, but in the same instance, I would certainly say that this program is worth the money. It's easy to learn, doesn't require a college degree to use and as I said previously, it's as close to the real thing as you can get on a computer screen. I have never regretted buying this program and I will continue to upgrade and use it alongside of my real work. (Rager for Life!) I use it on it's own, for photo-editing, assisting me in layout, design, color theory and practice before putting something down on a super expensive fancy sheet of paper... it is a tool that assists me in many ways with art and it's just plain fun to toy around with to see what you can come up with.

Hope this helps.

P.S - I totally agree with Someonesane, too!
    Last edited by MJSparks; 06-25-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Thank you!

Thanks to all of you! I've just purchased the programme and I think it will a good way of experimenting with things when I'm out and about (I live in the most beautiful area of East Sussex in the UK) and then bringing the ideas back home to try in real time.

I really appreciate your help and advice and I'm sure I'll check in regularly to the Forum.

Best regards,
    Fitzgib

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Welcome to the forum and Artrage hope you enjoy it like many of us do!!
    Here a link to get ye started
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...azU9BL1swaCUBa
    Oooh thank you, this is really helpful.

P.S. Be sure to check out the tutorial section here, and the tutorial book that BobbyRay put together for us. I think it's stickied somewhere, sorry. I can't remember for sure. Someone will know.

Good luck and be sure to come back and show us how you're doing. You can get a lot of good feedback from folks who regularly haunt this forum.

Never used acrylics before!

So here's my first digital acrylic, will definitely have a go. Thank you all for your encouragement today. xx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystic mountains jpeg.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	81590  

Welcome to Artrage! Great choice you have made. You will not, I repeat, will not, be disappointed. Post your art in the gallery forum. There is also a critique forum available.

You will get more response from the gallery than the critique section. Critique is a scary word to a lot of folks. I like your choices of green, feels vibrant. Post this in the gallery and hear what others have to say!