ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Select Tool is lacking

Select Tool is lacking

Hi I'm new here and I don't know if it's supposed to be like this but my Select Tool doesn't have a free select mode? Is that normal? Sorry if this was already asked but I couldn't find a related thread. There are 11 Presets for the select tool. They include different variation of rectangular, circular, and free select. However, the ones labeled as free select are actually just circular select modes.

-I'm using ArtRage Studio 3.5.4; Full Version

-I'm on Windows 8.1

Screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2014-06-18 01.42.15.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	81513

Thanks for any help

ArtRage Studio (as opposed to Studio Pro) only has the Select options in your screenshot, so that's normal.

The Preset thing is odd, though, as it only comes with 4. Did you install or create any additional presets at any point? (If you installed some extra ones, they might have been set up for Studio Pro, or ArtRage 4). Can you provide a screenshot of the available presets?
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Out of curiosity I just re downloaded ArtRage Studio to try this and yes it dose give options that the simple square and circle settings are not be able to do.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 10.59.32.png
Views: 154
Size:  235.7 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Okay, this can happen if you have a preset file installed in the wrong place. Markw, I'm guessing your Studio Pro preset file ended up in the wrong place.

Telsyii - yours has eleven presets, which is NOT the same as Studio Pro. So either you have a weird version of ArtRage or you have extra presets installed.

The easiest way to check for extra presets is to open the User Content folder.
    Name:  user tools preset folder.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  39.5 KB

Assuming this isn't instantly solved by checking the user content folder above, can you:

a) Get us a screenshot of the presets, so that we can check whether they are all official ones
    b) See what version you have installed (ctrl + 1, or Help > About ArtRage and look in the top right of the pop up)
    c) Tell us where you installed it from?
    d) Do you have Studio Pro or ArtRage 4 installed?

It's possible that the wrong preset is in the actual program files, which means either you put something in there manually, or it was the fault of the install file, which means we really need to look into that.

You can view the installed presets by browsing to the Program Files (or Program Files (x86)) > Ambient Design > ArtRage Studio > Resources > Tool Presets > Selection
    Name:  Studio Selection Presets Folder.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  37.4 KB

(You can also send your replies to support@artrage.com if you wish - we'll see it more quickly, and if this gets complicated then we'll have to switch to email anyway).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

So on my Mac, ArtRage Studio and Studio Pro are both accessing the same User Content folder in: User's Home Folder > Library > Application Support > ArtRage 3 > Resources > Tool Presets. So whatever presets are stored in there will be seen by both versions of ArtRage, whether they can use them or not.
    However the User Content folder for the Selection tool is, in my case, empty.
    The Selection presets being offered by ArtRage Studio, as in my previous screen shot, are coming from the Selection Preset folder contained within the actual application package itself, path: Applications > ArtRage Studio > Contents > Resources > Tool Presets > Selection.
    Nothing was added to the application package manually after download & installation and is as the installer created it.
    This is v3.5.11 of ArtRage Studio and was downloaded yesterday.
    Last edited by markw; 06-19-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

The 3.5.11 Studio installer for OS X looks like it included the full Studio Pro preset set which is why you're seeing the problem.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.