ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: new very frustrated user please help

new very frustrated user please help

new user, i am having trouble when i import a file from vaio clip ,i import a file i clipped ,it has a transparent layer/ background whatever, ok all is fine ,except when i want to rotate something when the transparent background from the object i cliped is a rectangular size, the object goes behind the borders , so how can i import the clipped image, then resize the transparent layer/backgroud it is on so that i can rotate it without it being cut off?
    this program is very backwards and difficult to use,
    Last edited by boston234; 06-14-2014 at 05:41 PM.

By googling, I understand Vaio Clip is a screenprint program?

Is the file a png? Can you merge the background and object into one so you can then rotate without losing part of the object? and then select the object to keep it separate?

In this case it could be the clipped image not ArtRage that's giving you problems. Sometimes things get lost in translation file-type-wise from one program to another.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    By googling, I understand Vaio Clip is a screenprint program?

Is the file a png? Can you merge the background and object into one so you can then rotate without losing part of the object? and then select the object to keep it separate?

In this case it could be the clipped image not ArtRage that's giving you problems. Sometimes things get lost in translation file-type-wise from one program to another.
    yes it is a .png image , i open art rage ,i open the clip image with transparent BG by going to import image or import image as layer ,but it is, say 60 x 200 or something like that, i use the transform tool to rotate it and then because i am turning it on its side it goes off the BG cause its the wrong size, how can i change it to a different size so it will fit if i rotate it? i have no clue what i am doing here ,
    like in simple step by step instructions , i am clueless with these programs i don't know anything but basic basic basic stuff , i know nothing about layers, i tried looking around, i tried to resize ,i forgot how i did it but i could get it resized but then the BG was not transparent anymore after i resize it
    Last edited by boston234; 06-14-2014 at 06:02 PM.

here i took a couple of snips with this broom just as an example of what i mean ,i want to be able to resize the transparent BG so i can rotate an image ,and then sav/export the tilted/rotated image as a transparency .png without losing it

h ttp://s14.postimg. org/rwys9tzdd/artrage.png

h ttp://s12.postimg. org/s54xhn8m5/artrage2.png

by the way this forum wont let me insert photos, either url or uploaded and blocks links too

ok NM i think i have figured it out now
    Last edited by boston234; 06-14-2014 at 06:31 PM.

If you read the manual - either by going to 'help' or F1, you will find answers to many questions you might have. Also I believe you can't post urls until you have made a certain number of posts - I don't know how many but it's very few.

Ways around your problem would be to reduce the size of the image before importing or start with a larger canvas - then you will have no trouble rotating the image. Edit/Transform Layer Contents.

Click on Image for larger view.

Last edited by Enug; 06-14-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boston234 View Post
    That's good, boston. The image seems very small though at 60x200 as you said, hard to make smaller as suggested. Anyway, it should show up on the canvas at that size because ArtRage starts off at a reasonably large size. Btw, your links are scrambled.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    That's good, boston. The image seems very small though at 60x200 as you said, hard to make smaller as suggested. Anyway, it should show up on the canvas at that size because ArtRage starts off at a reasonably large size.
    That would be the case if he imported the image as a layer (File → Import Image File to Layer), because the image would be smaller then his screen size (which ArtRage uses as the default canvas size for new paintings, upon opening). However, if he was importing the image as a new file (File → Import Image File), then the canvas dimensions are made to match that of the image (and automatically retain the transparent background of his png image).

Btw, your links are scrambled.
    As a new user, he's not allowed to post images or links, so he was forced to break them with spaces. It's an anti-spam precaution of the forums. Here they are as clickable links:

Quote Originally Posted by boston234 View Post
    So you're all set then, yes? If you imported the image using File → Import Image File, you would've needed to go to Edit → Crop Expand Canvas, so that you could match the images height, to the images width, which would then allow you the room to turn the image on its side using the Transform feature. You would then need to crop the canvas of it's extra space, by either using the same Edit → Crop Expand Canvas you just used or selecting the area with the selection tool and using Edit → Crop to Selection. If you're finding that the colors shift at all after you do this and export it, it's probably because ArtRage's 3D lighting was on (which it defaults to when you open the program, so keep it in mind when making these types of changes). To turn it off, go to View → Canvas Settings and click the Canvas Lighting option, so it's an "X".

If you're looking for tutorials on some of the features in ArtRage, I have some videos available here: ArtRage Tutorials and Demonstrations
    Last edited by Someonesane; 06-15-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I stand corrected.

As for the links, I fixed them for myself in my browser, I knew they wouldn't work as is...but still couldn't get them to work for some reason.