ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: My ruler disappeared.

My ruler disappeared.

I've overworked ArtRage today and now I have no ruler. I went to the Member Area to download the program again and chose "Repair", hoping that it would reload the missing stencil. Sadly, no. Please help?

How did the ruler vanish?

You should be able to find the ruler option in the Stencils menu (see screenshot). If you've hidden it, you can find all your currently active stencils in the "Active" tab at the top.

Name:  Rulers stencils.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  32.9 KB
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I'm sorry, HannahRage, not to have described it better. It actually disappeared as an available stencil.
    Here's what I have now:
    Name:  ArtRage No Ruler.PNG
Views: 69
Size:  100.6 KB

I looked for it in the program files-- it's gone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArtRage No Ruler Files.PNG 
Views:	83 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	81328

I miss it terribly.

The ruler is a special case and doesn't actually appear in the Stencils resource folder, but it's certainly odd that it isn't appearing in the program.

Can you check whether the "Add Default Ruler" option works?
    (Menu button > Add Default Ruler )

Name:  add default ruler.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  27.6 KB
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Curious...

The Ruler is supposed to be a default item, and one that should be locked into the system. Opening the Stencil panel and having a look at it now, I can see the small lock icon on it. However, if I right click on it, the menu comes up with the options to Delete or Rename it. Under normal circumstances those options would be greyed out, because the stencil I'm over is a locked item, but for whatever reason it's showing those options as being open. Not wanting to delete my own ruler, I gave changing it's name a shot, but was given an error message (as shown in the image attachment). That doesn't mean it can't inadvertently be deleted from the list there (I don't want to risk losing it at the moment, so I won't be testing that).

Name:  ruler rename.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  57.2 KB
    Last edited by Someonesane; 06-05-2014 at 01:21 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you, both of you! "Add Default Ruler" brings it right back to me.

Interesting…
    Feeling brave, I just tried the Delete option offered for the ruler and I get the same Error message you got Someonesane.
    From within AR I can't delete it.
    I would have to actually go to the folder where it lives and manually remove it from there to delete it.
    Wonder what freak set of events made it disappear for Sueellen…?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

I know, right? I can't delete it on purpose even with considerable effort.

Here's what I think happened: a project was growing way beyond my original plans and I opened various other pictures I could use as elements of a master design. None of the other pictures were created with this idea in mind and I opened each one to study their specs. But! I left the six or more ArtRage files still open even as I imported their pngs to layers of the master and was color sampling from parts of each to create a master palette for the project. For the master-work I made way, way many stencils to use as eraser shields. It was truly ridiculous, the growing scope of my efforts to make a stamp of a passed-out bunny in plaid. I was feeling frustrated with my inability to abandon the absurd project and was losing my concentration.

I decided to take a break and read my emails, AND:
    I readied to delete an irritating recurring anti-virus message when I finally realized, that no-- it wasn't a sales pitch. It was a genuine effort to get me to do the free update. Red alert! Red alert! I haven't done an overdue update! I downloaded the updates. However, I downloaded the updates with the bazillion ArtRage windows still open. I have paid terribly for the inattention.

The paintings had been saved, but sometimes that isn't enough to carry them through a system-storm like the one I made in that moment. One of my favorite "paintings" was sucked right out of existence. Not the ptg nor the png would open as anything but a blank canvas.

And the ruler disappeared.

The lesson: when I take a break from ArtRage, I should go outdoors.