ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double ended arrow

Double ended arrow

I'm using Artrage 4 on a PC, Windows 7.

I may have accidentally leaned onto my Intuos 5 Wacom tablet and pressed one of its buttons, or my elbow may have even managed a combo.

I was using Artrage at the time, on the transform tool, and instead of the normal cursor, now I've got this double ended black arrow cursor (and if I re-read the instruction booklet I may know what that's for) and I've tried a bunch of buttons including the esc key and all the stroke combos I can think of but I can't get rid of this cursor. I'm not even sure it's a 'cursor' because it doesn't do anything. It disappears behind panels if I move it with the mouse, but that ain't helping me out much.

I can't even save... So if worst comes to worst I'll ctrl alt del out of Artrage and lose ten minutes' of work, but would rather know what I accidentally did... Hoping this is an Artrage fix, not a Wacom one.

That sounds like the cursor for the Transform tool you are seeing.
    If you have selected something using the Selection tool, touching/clicking inside that selected area with the Transform tool will allow you to alter just that selected area.
    Or are you saying that the cursor is "stuck" and will only show the Transform cursor? Switching to another tool doesn't clear it?
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 14.40.01.png
Views: 303
Size:  300.8 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thank you for your reply.
    In hindsight, I should have attached a screenshot of my own.
    This is what the arrow looks like. Strange thing is, I am able to open Artrage and work on a different file just fine. I'm still hoping not to lose that bit of work I did yesterday though, so any more suggestions are welcome.

Name:  DOUBLE-ENDED-ARROW.png
Views: 271
Size:  68.7 KB
    Last edited by Slap Happy Larry; 06-03-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Hummm… Not sure what's happened there?
    That looks like the "resize" arrow you get when the cursor hovers over the top right or bottom left corner nodes of a transform box or say a reference image panel.
    Definitely shouldn't just be hanging around like that!
    Can you switch to a different tool?
    Dose switching to a different tool make it go away?
    Or dose the arrow remain regardless of which tool is selected?

You say you can't 'Save' your work. What's not working there? No access to 'Save' via the menu commands or key commands?
    Can you not relaunch AR?
    You also say you can open other AR files fine. But in the normal run of things AR will only let you work on one painting file at a time. Do you have more than one instance of AR running on your system to get round that? Or are you using more than one computer?
    I must confess I am somewhat unclear as to your work flow here.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

So... are you saying that you still have the image opened in the program? You haven't closed it since you posted this thread?

Does your Wacom have a Scroll Ring (it's a circular ring, surrounding a button)? Based off of the appearance of the cursor and you having mentioned hitting a button on your Wacom, I'm inclined to believe that you may have inadvertently froze the program. The Scroll Ring, like the Roller Wheel on a mouse, can be used to scale selected sections in ArtRage. The Scroll Ring can be touchy though. Even small movements on the ring, can increase the scale quickly. If you happened to lean on this ring, as you mentioned you may have, it might have caused ArtRage to think you were trying to scale the transformation up to an absurd size, forcing your processor to work beyond it's capability.

Have you tried hitting the "ESC" key on your keyboard? Under normal circumstances, hitting ESC will cancel out any transformations being made (as well as canceling out of any processor heavy strokes; say a Sticker Spray set to 500% scale and 100% Spray Rate).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Yep, still got the file open. Still ain't doing anything. All I can do is move that arrow thing around with the mouse. Ctrl+S doesn't work either. I've been putting my PC to sleep rather than turn it off hoping someone would know what had happened, but I think I give up now. Who was I kidding. I've lost more than ten minutes' work. Ten minute saves is somewhat aspirational.

It's highly likely I did do something with that scroll ring. I recently reinstalled the Wacom driver which may explain why this new thing happened, because I've definitely leaned accidentally on the buttons before. In that case I like the theory that it was probably too much for this computer.

I'm interested to hear that normally you can't have more than one Artrage file open at one time, as I often do. (Though I make sure not to if I'm concerned about overloading the processor with sticker sprays etc. I think it's usually running iTunes on a PC that sends my computer over the edge, though, rather than running multiple art programs concurrently.)

Sigh.

Need to get a Mac, so I keep getting told.

Has anyone ever crashed Artrage on a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Happy Larry View Post
    Yep, still got the file open. Still ain't doing anything. All I can do is move that arrow thing around with the mouse. Ctrl+S doesn't work either. I've been putting my PC to sleep rather than turn it off hoping someone would know what had happened, but I think I give up now. Who was I kidding. I've lost more than ten minutes' work. Ten minute saves is somewhat aspirational.

It's highly likely I did do something with that scroll ring. I recently reinstalled the Wacom driver which may explain why this new thing happened, because I've definitely leaned accidentally on the buttons before. In that case I like the theory that it was probably too much for this computer.
    It does sound like you've frozen something driver-related. If you drop us an email directly at support@artrage.com we can see if there's anything we can do. Unfortunately, if you can't actually DO anything with the open file, then there may be no way to fix it, but send in your computer specs, tablet and driver specs and any other details you have, and we can take a look.

I'm interested to hear that normally you can't have more than one Artrage file open at one time, as I often do.
    You can't open more than one file in ArtRage, but you can open as many instances of ArtRage as you like to work on multiple paintings. I think markw just understood your original comment as having multiple files open in the same window (e.g. as Photoshop lets you do).

You can also open the SAME file again, though it will open the last save, rather than any changes you have made since.

Has anyone ever crashed Artrage on a Mac?
    Yes (But the details are highly classified by Apple)
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Sorry we all couldn't help save your work there. Dose seem like that file may have been just one to many for your computer to cope with.
    I occasionally work with multiple instances (2 or 3) of AR on my Mac in order to copy things out from one file and into another painting.
    But you do have to be conscious of how much computer resources will be used in maintaining all open apps.

To your last question, yes I have crashed AR on my Mac, once. I was so surprised, I sent the crash report to AR support!
    It turned out it was the image sizes (in MB's) I was try to use to make a sticker spray. They were way to big for AR to cope with.
    Otherwise AR has always been the model of perfect behavior
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

There are parts of my PC which are seven years old, so Artrage is not really to blame

The reason I'm procrastinating about getting a Mac is simply because I can't decide between a perfectly good one or one of those super powerful tube ones, which I'd hope would last at least another seven years, preferably ten. (I recently surpassed the age where new technology excites me. Now folk just go moving my cheese.)

Anyhow, I spent an hour or so yesterday afternoon and managed to recapture what I'd lost so all is good. In the meantime, I'll be doing a Save As more regularly. I've noticed recently it's multiple layers with blend modes which stress out my old PC, not just the stickers. I make much use of blend modes and I can see the computer almost shudder when it merges layers down.

By the way, when I get a Mac, it'll be easy to shift my presets over, right? (I guess I'll be re-purchasing a copy on Steam, which I shoulda done the first time.)

By the way, when I get a Mac, it'll be easy to shift my presets over, right? (I guess I'll be re-purchasing a copy on Steam, which I shoulda done the first time.)
    Yep, all ArtRage resources use the same file type. Just copy them all from your folder - or create a package to install them all in one go.

Also, you shouldn't need to repurchase ArtRage (unless you really want a Steam copy). Your current licence will let you download the Mac version whenever you like. Just go to members.artrage.com and register your serial, then download and pick your operating system.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!