ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Need help finding touch-screen tablet/laptop

Question Need help finding touch-screen tablet/laptop

I'm having trouble finding an affordable touch-screen tablet or convertible laptop (that can go into tablet mode), so I thought I would throw it out to the group here to see what your experience has been and if you have any recommendations.

My requirements:

1) I'm not looking for top of the line anything, unless it's old top of the line and inexpensive
    2) It has to run the desktop version of ArtRage 4. I'm unwavering on this point
    3) Touch-screen laptops are fine if they are the convertible, 2-1 kind where the screen can flip or swivel or detach to make a tablet-like experience.
    4) I don't need wacom or n-trig pen support--just regular capacitive touch screen is fine so I can paint with my finger or dumb stylus.
    5) I would like a 12 inch screen or bigger--something comfortable enough to run the desktop version of ArtRage.
    6) A nice screen. If I could splurge in one area it would be this. Sharper, brighter, etc.

I'm looking at new computers in the medium to low-end spectrum of prices as well as older computers. Going with an older computer that works well with ArtRage and meets my requirements seems to be the best bet, but I don't have any experience with any of them. I've looked at old Lenovo Thinkpad X series tablets, older Sony laptops/convertibles, and some Toshiba tablets as well.

Anybody have experience with something like this and could share your thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

X201 tablet users?

Any X201 tablet users out there willing to share your experience with using it with ArtRage? If so, do you have the multi-touch version?

Capacitive touch monitors

Anyone have any experience with capacitive touch monitors and ArtRage?

Hey rscottfree--the x201 tablet works great with ArtRage. You should be able to do 18x12 inch, 300dpi canvases with no problem, and 200% size oil brush with no lag. 300% you might see some lag. Also, the wacom digitizer might not be very accurate around the edges of the screen. Also, in quiet spaces you might notice a high-pitched noise coming from the fan port that will absolutely drive you crazy. But you get what you pay for, right? Other than that, it's a great convertible laptop and you can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay. Have fun artraging!

sincerely yours,
    rscottfree

p.s. No really, that high-pitched noise will literally drive you crazy. Take some of that money you saved by buying cheap crap on ebay and get yourself some noise canceling earphones.

Lol am I seeing double or are you having a conversation with yourself? Sorry I can't help with this

Quote Originally Posted by rscottfree View Post
    Anyone have any experience with capacitive touch monitors and ArtRage?
    I didn't answer your first post as I don't use a tablet computer however, I see you have also added the above question/post. I have an All-in-One 23" touchscreen computer (2nd monitor also connected but not touchscreen) - and ArtRage works fine on that with an ordinary mesh tipped stylus and also with my brush stylus. Even so I don't use ArtRage that way as I prefer my Wacom tablet.