Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoann Lori - Caricatures and else

D Akey : As a matter of fact I printed some of my caricatures for the first time this year as I participated to my my first caricature festival ! I have to say I didn't sell many !

My canvas are A3 format (42 x 29.7 cm) at 300 dpi. My charlie Hebdo caricature was painted at the same size as the others and was printed in A2 format (59.4 x 42 cm). The result looked great !

Quote Originally Posted by YoannLori View Post
    D Akey : As a matter of fact I printed some of my caricatures for the first time this year as I participated to my my first caricature festival ! I have to say I didn't sell many !
    That's no reflection on your skill, believe me. It's just a matter of building your following and/or finding a market that uses your art. But any time you get visible it's a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by YoannLori View Post
    My canvas are A3 format (42 x 29.7 cm) at 300 dpi. My charlie Hebdo caricature was painted at the same size as the others and was printed in A2 format (59.4 x 42 cm). The result looked great !
    Thank you for this. And thanks to the internet for having conversion pages from cm. to inches. You may be interested to know that metrics are gradually slipping into the USA. My health care people are all using metrics now. This affects me more than you. But it's one of those mysteries how there were different measurement standards. But this is passing. Just don't ask me what my weight is in metrics. I have no idea.

I remember reading lots of art books where all the painting measurements were in cm. That was of no use to me at the time. Like I said, now on the computer, it's easy to find out.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

We only use the metric system in France, so I'm not really familiar with the inches. Well ... I spent one year in the U.S. so I know My height in feet and inches but that's about it !
    1 inch should be 2.54 cm.
    As you say, thanks to the internet ! I found the exact inches measurments for the A3 format : 16.53 x 11.69 inches. A2 is 23.39 x 16.53 inches.

Ahahaha, it was such a fun to read of all the mess about the measurement units and the conversion factors!
    As an (former) engineer I had quite a few conversion troubles in the past converting from or to "anglo-saxons" units, but as long as the more coherent and self consistent International Metrics System substituted local systems or penetrated into more and more countries and any kind of electronics device appeared, I saw problems progressively and magically disappear or decrease, just like countries driving on the wrong side LOL
    Nonethess it's always interesting to know of any ancient or local measure unit, since it says very much about that place, its tradition or culture, what was important, the rational behind that choice etc. We would not be human beings if we were not able to measure, I guess, with all the benefifts this faculty provide and some possible drawback.
    So I still keep, for instance, my old pocket Engineer Manual which used to be the appendix of any whatsoever engineer here and it's really fun to discover there and on subsequent research that here in Italy, little more than a century ago and later on in many cases, there were practically almost as many different metrics systems as regions for any quantity connected to agriculture or fishing or breeding.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

In case some of you were wondering what kind of enlargement could be made with the canvas size I use ...

This was displayed right outside of the french comics festival 'Quai des Bulles' located in Saint Malo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12047182_10153012805436595_3861211874191819707_n.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	87968

Wow! C'est Magnifique! Formidable.

That's fantastic. And also thanks for the demonstration of enlarging your work. The scale is powerful. Will later look great in an office as a memento or souvenir, and certainly shows your skill. Bravo! and thanks.

Last edited by D Akey; 10-27-2015 at 04:41 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

C'est incroyable! Vos caricatures caricatures semblent presque plus réeles que des vraies personnes!

long time no see ...

It's been a while since the last time I posted here.
    First my apologies to D Akey and Caesar for not replying. I thank you both so much (better later than never) !

First I'd like to show you a traditional portrait I did for my sister and representing my nephew. This was done with color pencils on A3 paper.

Name:	Nephew_1200.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	89262

I also continued working with ArtRage of course and tried using the paintbrush this time. I experimented on David Bowie.

Name:	David_Bowie_YoY_1200.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	89263

No problem at all, dear Yoann. I can testify also in front of a court of Your extreme kindness everytime.
    I'm speechless and keep "jawdropped" in front of Your mastery when looking at Your nephew's portrait made with pencils. I'm aware it requires an incredible talent for drawing and properly hatching for defining curves and getting subtle mixes to get the right color and tone. I think this is possibly the most impressive show of artistic capabilities. BTW, what's the sheet size of such a masterpiece?
    Obviously, as a really complete and endowed professional, Your painting and brushwork skills are quite evidently super as well.

Thanks a lot for forgiving me and for your very kind comment Caesar !

The paper size is 42 x 29,7 cm or 16,53 X 11,69 inches. It took 17 hours to complete this drawing.