ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flower-de-luce

Flower-de-luce

Mainly watercolour brush with some airbrushing. Used a reference image. Comment on the background would be appreciated - better with or without? I tried for a complimentary in a grey tone. Also tried some negative painting in stem area but changed my mind.

Name:  Iris.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  27.0 KB

A delicate floreal marvel. Wonderful!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thanks Caesar.

Looking really good Enug! You've got it working for you.

Great wc look and colouring, beautiful

Yeah, there's really good stuff happening there. It's rather precise and reminds me of some naturalist's journal sketches of flora they've come upon on their travels -- from someone set on getting it accurately.

I love the colors you have in the center petal especially. The color gradient adds a lot of richness and interest.

Background. . . hmm. . . It's very close in some respects to some of the lighter color I see in the flower itself so it flattens the image out a little rather than holding the flower forth.

Also I've always looked at backgrounds in vignettes to be inspired by what a shadow might do, or a shape that plays against the subject's shape somehow . That way it makes design sense to me. I like perhaps fewer strokes and with a broader more specific flourish rather than being daubed carefully. A washy loose background shape done in a few strokes can often set up a counterpoint to the detail of the subject. And you can get away with a lot that way and set up a relationship where it might be a gentle echo. (Or conversely it could get away from you and get too noticeable.) Hard to say without puttering about and looking at what happens. This is certainly legit. Remember, you always have [Undo].

But there's nothing wrong with your skills and fastidiousness. I figure you'll either loosen up or get tighter as you get used to painting this way more. I can see a lot of talent.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Copespeak - thank you for those kind words.

JustJean- thank you also, I do love watercolours and I'm glad you can see resemblance there.

Mr Akey - once again you have given me something to ponder - why do I have such trouble with backgrounds? I will use the undo and try some different effects.

Just Beautiful!

Thanking you - hope you're keeping warm 'up in them thar hills'.

Beautiful, looks so delicate.
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/