ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The falling leaves drift by my window....."

"The falling leaves drift by my window....."

Well it's autumn here in Oz! Started off trying for a pen and wash look - didn't quite achieve it but I enjoyed the practice.

Name:  AutumnLeaves-th.png
Views: 217
Size:  288.4 KB

Lovely painting but its coming up to summer here so I will put that colour to the back of my mind. Well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Charming leaves

I love to paint them during our fall. We loved our visit to Australia. It was in the coming fall.

Beautiful leaves Enug!

I keep meaning to try some. Our autumn is very late up in the hills, so we don't have too many yet.

Looks nice, but you're right, it lost the effect. Nice leaves though.

AKA: Pen and Wash. If you want to have more of a pen and wash look, put the emphasis on the "wash" quality. Let your ink line do your work of putting in overall structure and detail (loose or tight - your call).

Then with your wash - really simplify and don't put in much if any detail. That's the beauty of this technique is to basically slap in a color fairly loosely, and you can let the paint bleed around and it still works. The line holds it together. And there's a lot of leeway for experimentation and fun. It's anything from a sketchbook look all the way to architectural renderings in some cases where they want to show a casual feel.

Here are some ideas. I just did a Google Images search for "Pen and Wash Techniques":

https://www.google.com/search?q=pen+...ml%3B640%3B444
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you everyone.

Copespeak- where I am in SA we don't get that beautiful turning of the leaves - so I had to cheat and use someone else's leaves.

Dear D Akey - coming to my rescue again! I will practice, practice, practice - it's also learning how digital watercolour works too. I have found Someonesane's watercolour videos and will study those as well.

Enug, I have done a very quick leaf (sourced from the net) to show you the wash style I use, which is mostly using the Gloop Pen. You don't get the liney, mushy wash that you do with the actual watercolour brush, and you get a nice external line that is more 'watercoloury'.

On top of that, I have used the Air Brush turned up big, and the Airbrush Spats in the Sticker section, and the Blender to pat them down.

I did a tutorial recently with a step by step suggestions. See: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...ht=watercolour

Have a go, it's challenging, but fun!

Attachment 80738

Oh! how lovely you are to do that for me. I've been looking thru the tutorials and experimenting with the various presets suggested and also looking thru my watercolour papers for something that gives the result I'm trying for. And yes, I had previously come across your teddybear/gloop tutorial and will have to go over that one again.

It's cold, miserable and wet here today - however the cats and I are warm so I will spend the afternoon playing in the water...colours.

This is my attempt following your suggestions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maple leaf.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	80742

I'm also working on another, following the Google page Mr Akey sent me to - however I'm afraid I got into too much detail and it's looking more like a shiny red apple than a soft watercolour. I like it tho and will finish it and then try another without the detail. I'm finding it hard to keep it simple.