ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: First time doing things this way - it's tough.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

First time doing things this way - it's tough.

This is a portrait of Indian Larry (legendary bike builder) sadly deceased. The photo is a reference. Man it is difficult. I am learning bunches however. And I am confident it will turn out well. I was very inspired by the many incredible artists I met at WonderCon in Anaheim, California. SO, I gotta do this!

Name:  victorosaka_indianlarry.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  85.3 KB

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Victor. you are doing some amazing work here!... it is gratifying to see someone blossom with this tool! There are several outstanding artists on this forum to study and share techniques with.. as our friend D Akey says GO MAN GO !

My Indian Larry

Well, I think I am about as done as my talent lets me. I like it though. Hair is soooo hard to do. I know I should sit back, let it stew for a day and edit it. But, I think I'll do better with the next portrait.

I used the photograph of Indian Larry by Timothy White as my reference. He did this awesome book on Larry and his bikes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 12.15.22 PM.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	80670

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Very nice! This is a dramatic and striking piece; I love the lighting and expression. Well done!

~ Scribbles
    Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.

~ Henry Ward Beecher

Victor, he's very dark and interesting with such a piercing gaze! Those eyes are great!

I would make his hair a bit more random by referring back to the reference, and catch some more light at the top left.

Also, I am troubled by the blending. You have nice grungy brush strokes that are blended only randomly with the Blur Blender (?). Every painting I see on the forum that does that makes me think it's a bit of a shame to lose those strokes. Maybe use the blender that will give you some texture to match the rest of your painting?

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I think I "bit off more than I could chew" with this one. So, I decided to go back to basics and learn the brushes better. I did a Cezanne inspired piece called "peaches" using a specific palette and brush strokes. I jumped into ArtRage without really learning the tools available to me so I need to clean up my act, so to speak. It was fun to try tackling a portrait of Indian Larry.

Hey Victor....
    Been gone for about three weeks and catching up on all I've missed. Always liked Larry, he was a great charactor and fanstastic bike builder.
    You've captured the determination he had within his eyes and roughness of charactor within his features.
    Nice job.....
    Steve